Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Puzzle Ideas

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

Puzzle Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Puzzle Ideas   Puzzle Ideas EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 12:23 am

I'm kind of stumped on a new type of puzzle to make in my programming class. I'm naturally weeks ahead of the class/teacher, considering that I finish in a day what they finish in 5. Therefore, I need some more puzzles that can be made using simple tools... such as the buttons in the game I made earlier, etc.

I'm making them to test a kid in my school's puzzle-solving abilities. He's able to do any size rubiks cube, including super-cubes... and he didn't look it up online.
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

Puzzle Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Ideas   Puzzle Ideas EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 1:41 am

You start with 3 poles of varying lengths. Then you have rings on the poles of varying colors. You then show them a set of different rings and colors in a pattern, and tell them to get the same design as you have by only moving one ring at a time, and you can only move it over one pole at a time, and there can only be as many rings on a pole as there is room on a pole.

For example: You start off with 3 poles of length 1, 2 and 3. You then have a green ring on the pole in the middle with length 2 and a Red on the bottom of the length three pole, and blue on top of it. (Each length represents how many rings can go on it). You then give him the same type of thing, with the green on the length one pole, then the red on the bottom of the second one and blue on top of that. Then ask him to make the same configuration as you as fast as possible, and with as few moves as possible..(This would be an example puzzle, you could make a lot more complex ones and harder ones).

It's kind of hard to describe by typing.....Ask me if you have any questions.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

Puzzle Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Ideas   Puzzle Ideas EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 3:18 pm

oh, i see.

simpler version of jay.j's thing:

there are three pegs.

on those three pegs there are three colored rings, each.

in as few moves as possible, the person needs to re-arrange it so that the rings are on the correct pegs.

I have played a game similar, though it was something like different sizes of rings, with 7 pegs... Its a great idea, but i recall it being a tad too easy...

I will post a suggestion later, but one question; is it a physical game (like jay.j's pegs thing) or is it on the computer?

PS: i was able to solve 3/4 of a rubik's cube unaided, until I got bored of messing up so much and looked it up. After the 3x3 rubik's is solved, the 4x4 can be solved 1/2 the time by the same method of the 3x3. Not sure about the 5v5 though... xD
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st
Sponsored content

Puzzle Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puzzle Ideas   Puzzle Ideas Empty

Back to top Go down

Puzzle Ideas
Page 1 of 1