Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A Fairly Simple Map

Go down 
+6
Bartimaeus
Balnazzar
Dragonheart91
Jay.J
Piddagoras
SinisteRing
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

A Fairly Simple Map Empty
PostSubject: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 10:50 pm

I created a map within about 2 classes-worth of time, hoping to get some unique spell ideas out there. This is the result:

Download Here

Any suggestions you want to make are welcome. Pyth, the map is unprotected if you want to see what it's all about. It's quite simple, really.
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Your Character
Primary Move: Cosines and Sines.

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 11:36 pm

Taking a look right now, may edit, may repost if someone beats me to the punch.

Edit 1:
Code:
function Cast_Defend takes player p returns nothing
    call EnableTrigger(Helper_Defend[GetPlayerId(p)])
    call TriggerSleepAction(2.5)
    call DisableTrigger(Helper_Defend[GetPlayerId(p)])
endfunction

I would much prefer you used an attachment system with timers and just attached the player ID integer to it. TriggerSleepAction makes me want to harm small animals. Same issue with the Ensnare spell, TriggerSleepAction isn't accurate.

There will also be a bug that occurs when a unit ensnares another unit that is already ensnared, that unit's movement speed will be permanently set to 0 unless someone casts ensnare on them again in the window of time before the second one resets them to zero.

I love that you're using GroupEnum and filters, but instead of converting IsUnitLiving to a condition every time it runs, you can convert it once in an Init function and store it in a boolexpr that you can use as an argument in all enums that take require it as a filter. You could also check for unit alliance in a boolexpr function by setting a global player variable right before enumerating so you wouldn't have to take an arctangent for allied units.

The geometry appears to be correct, and I'm quite impressed by that Very Happy

One last thing, you could use a timer with each JabStruct instead of having a global timer that iterates them, it would eliminate the discrepancy in the time between cast and time between jab.

Edit 2:
Pythagoras wrote:
There will also be a bug that occurs when a unit ensnares another unit that is already ensnared, that unit's movement speed will be permanently set to 0 unless someone casts ensnare on them again in the window of time before the second one resets them to zero.
I had to solve this problem with my buff system for both my status system and for MM&M, I can help you with specifics if you'd like.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 4:22 pm

Strange, by the time I got home today and looked at this, I did all but like 2 of the things you pointed out...

The ensnare thing would happen the other way around. Take a look at the code again and you'll see that someone who is ensnared twice will be released shorter than the timeframe.

The TriggerSleepActions have been removed, but I'd like to let you know that they ARE accurate if the interval is above 0.25 seconds. The timers within structs is now in effect. This makes it quite easy.

I didn't know about the condition thing. Thanks for that input, and I'll add it soon.

Still though, the game kinda sucks. I'm working on a few far more complex spells. Hopefully I'll have a new version by the end of the day. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 4:25 pm

I think the first version is and will be the best version. All future attempts will only make the game worse Smile
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 4:28 pm

Quote :
The ensnare thing would happen the other way around. Take a look at the code again and you'll see that someone who is ensnared twice will be released shorter than the timeframe.
Really? from looking at the code it looked like it would go:
-Ensnare#1 reduces movement speed to zero and saves current movement speed in a local real
-Ensnare#2 sets movement speed to 0 even though it is already 0 and saves 0 in a local real
-Ensnare#1 sets movement speed back to whatever it was when it was cast
-Ensnare#2 sets movement speed to 0
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 4:35 pm

Oh, good catch. Fixed it. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 4:41 pm

What exactly is this map? Is it worth me downloading and playing by myself?
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 4:42 pm

You can't play by yourself. It's a....sort of The Predator/Warlock/Hero Survival type arena map made in like 20 minutes maybe. It's just something for Sin to see his spell making abilities. The current abilities are fairly simple though.
Back to top Go down
Balnazzar
Elite Mage
Elite Mage
Balnazzar

Number of posts : 371
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Your Character
Primary Move: Communist Propaganda

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 5:06 pm

Pythagoras wrote:
Taking a look right now, may edit, may repost if someone beats me to the punch.

Edit 1:
Code:
function Cast_Defend takes player p returns nothing
call EnableTrigger(Helper_Defend[GetPlayerId(p)])
call TriggerSleepAction(2.5)
call DisableTrigger(Helper_Defend[GetPlayerId(p)])
endfunction

I would much prefer you used an attachment system with timers and just attached the player ID integer to it. TriggerSleepAction makes me want to harm small animals. Same issue with the Ensnare spell, TriggerSleepAction isn't accurate.

I love that you're using GroupEnum and filters, but instead of converting IsUnitLiving to a condition every time it runs, you can convert it once in an Init function and store it in a boolexpr that you can use as an argument in all enums that take require it as a filter. You could also check for unit alliance in a boolexpr function by setting a global player variable right before enumerating so you wouldn't have to take an arctangent for allied units.

The geometry appears to be correct, and I'm quite impressed by that Very Happy

One last thing, you could use a timer with each JabStruct instead of having a global timer that iterates them, it would eliminate the discrepancy in the time between cast and time between jab.

Edit 2:
Pythagoras wrote:

I had to solve this problem with my buff system for both my status system and for MM&M, I can help you with specifics if you'd like.

Wow... That's why I respect Pyth more than the rest of you, guys. XD
His mathematical knowledge is just impressive.

P.S.: The map is fun.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marxists.org
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Number of posts : 865

Your Character
Primary Move: Inferno

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 5:59 pm

Balnazzar wrote:
Wow... That's why I respect Pyth more than the rest of you, guys. XD
His mathematical knowledge is just impressive.

P.S.: The map is fun.

Yes, because we all know mathematical skill is the equivalent of intelligence and wisdom.

Oh wait... clown

Mathematical Skill =/= Intelligence

Mathematical Skill =/= Wisdom

Intelligence =/= Wisdom

Wisdom =/= Intelligence

Read Calvin & Hobbes. Then again, I don't want you reading it and trashing it because it's a comic strip, so don't.

Anyways, it's a multiplayer game like Warlocks, right? If you guys would like to make a game, send me a PM/IM.
Back to top Go down
Balnazzar
Elite Mage
Elite Mage
Balnazzar

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 6:22 pm

Quote :

Intelligence =/= Wisdom

Wisdom =/= Intelligence

Man, I agree, stop talking about what you don't know, you are annoying, go read a little.

I'm a disaster at math, and besides I don't think intelligence can be measured.

But Pyth is definitely "Intelligent" in HIS area, which happens to be math, so I respect him because I'm able to identify his knowledge.
Back to top Go down
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Number of posts : 865

Your Character
Primary Move: Inferno

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 6:27 pm

Balnazzar wrote:
Quote :

Intelligence =/= Wisdom

Wisdom =/= Intelligence

Man, I agree, stop talking about what you don't know, you are annoying, go read a little.

But Pyth is definitely "Intelligent" in HIS area, which happens to be math, so I respect him because I'm able to identify his knowledge.

Right, so you think he is very good at math, correct? And you respect him for it, right?

Okay, so what you're saying is that you only respect people who are good at math? Because that's what it looks like. The rest of us I'm sure are at least decent at math, so it's not like you should DISrespect us for not knowing the amount of math we know.

Then you say that you're a disaster at math, which even makes it more confusing.

But what do I know; how am I suppose to know what who says that the banks control the U.S. government when the government, infact, is taking OVER the banks, and fails to provide any evidence whatsoever for this argument, saying with an excuse that he's, at first, eating, and then drinking tea a minute later, and then eating crackers WITH tea after I question him, means? Obviously, my intelligence is so low that I would have no idea.
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 9:21 pm

Well, there aren't many things that I don't do well. Smile
Back to top Go down
Zync
Elite Mage
Elite Mage

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Your Character
Primary Move: Karate Chop

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 9:33 pm

Pythagoras wrote:
Well, there aren't many things that I don't do well. Smile
Based on your picture, ( if that is you ) I would have to say "eat" and "choose a barber" are among the things you don't do well, lol.
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 10:03 pm

Why do you think I don't eat well? My hair is pretty uncooperative regardless of the person who takes a lawnmower to it.

I have the inclination that you believe I'm fat from my picture. I'll have to put a new one up at some point that doesn't play into the weaknesses of my facial structure.

Last edited by Pythagoras on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 10:06 pm

I don't see anything wrong with his health/physique or hair. It's kind of long, but not really....
Back to top Go down
Zync
Elite Mage
Elite Mage

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Your Character
Primary Move: Karate Chop

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 4:11 am

Wow, you got a little more but-hurt about that than I thought you would. My Apologies.

Actually you look like the average American build based on your pictures, which, for males, is overweight. That newer picture looks a little better, but I doubt the BMI you should be.

Than again, I am 6' 4" and weigh 174 lb, giving me a BMI of 21.2, which is basically perfect, right in the middle of what is normal, and I take pride in that.

Here, is a link for it, if you wish to prove me wrong ( or lie about it, as most Americans do, lol ):

At the bottom of the link you can calculate a more exact BMI with your height/weight.
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Number of posts : 580

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 5:32 am

That could be somewhat misleading though. I'm pretty fit and don't have much fat to me, but my BMI, according to the site, is 23.7.

I'm not fat, but I do have some muscle. I don't know if it takes that into account on the explanation.
Back to top Go down
Balnazzar
Elite Mage
Elite Mage
Balnazzar

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 10:40 am

Rofl, the conversation between Pyth and Zync is funny. XD

Bartimaeus wrote:
Balnazzar wrote:
Quote:

Intelligence =/= Wisdom

Wisdom =/= Intelligence

Right, so you think he is very good at math, correct? And you respect him for it, right?

Okay, so what you're saying is that you only respect people who are good at math? Because that's what it looks like. The rest of us I'm sure are at least decent at math, so it's not like you should DISrespect us for not knowing the amount of math we know.

Then you say that you're a disaster at math, which even makes it more confusing.

But what do I know; how am I suppose to know what who says that the banks control the U.S. government when the government, infact, is taking OVER the banks, and fails to provide any evidence whatsoever for this argument, saying with an excuse that he's, at first, eating, and then drinking tea a minute later, and then eating crackers WITH tea after I question him, means? Obviously, my intelligence is so low that I would have no idea.

Bart, this is your stupidest post till now. Probably the most stupid of these forums...

Ok, so, back on topic...

I'll say this one more time, and I'll use caps so YOU understand it.

GO READ.

There, you go do that.

You didn't read my post carefully, that's obvious, so I'll have to explain it for you, since maybe you just didn't understand it...

From my point of view: People have the same amount of "Potential", whether it is in 1 area or in several, in Pyth's case, I can see that he IS good at math, hence, I respect him for it, he knows what he is good at and puts effort into it. In the case of other persons, I don't know if they realize/exploit their potential unless they show it somehow, so I won't have the same respect for a person who hasn't showed me that he KNOWS what he is good at, is confident about it, and knows how to exploit it.

Bart wrote:

Why don't you say "It confused me" or "So I'm not sure I understand your point".
By mentioning my post, and saying it is confusing, you are saying it's confusing for everyone, which is something that someone usually can't be sure about. (Unless it's a post like Hades', in that case you can say it's confusing, since his grammar was really bad)

But by saying "It confused me", or "So I'm not sure I understand your point", you are stating something YOU are sure about, you are sure about what YOU know, feel and understand.

The way you wrote it makes it offensive, as you mention me/my post instead of you/your thoughts. Besides, my post wasn't even directed towards you personally. (The first one)

Bartimaeus wrote:

I told you, go read "Introduction to Marxism" by Emile Burns (I think that's the name) at www.marx.org.
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 2:13 pm

Weight of 160 lbs, height of 6'2'', BMI of 20.5. Obviously simply typing numbers isn't proof. I can make proof available, but doing such a thing over the internet seems a little strange to me.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 4:07 pm

I'm 5'7" and weigh 112 lbs... which gives me a 17.5 BMI. Beat that, you nubs.
Back to top Go down
Balnazzar
Elite Mage
Elite Mage
Balnazzar

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 6:01 pm

You are short. XD
Back to top Go down
Lagger09
Legendary
Legendary
Lagger09

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Your Character
Primary Move: I am the Destroyer of Time... guess...

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 6:21 pm

6ft ish and 140lbs? I haven't gained any weight since 6th grade despite doing crew for two years.
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Number of posts : 580

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 6:56 pm

SinisteRing wrote:
I'm 5'7" and weigh 112 lbs... which gives me a 17.5 BMI. Beat that, you nubs.

That just means you're scrawny, you know that right?

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Noob. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 7:42 pm

You're 112? That's pretty light...

140LBS, 5'10" - 20.1 BMI.

Lol @ how this topic has completely diverged....You want to split this since it's your topic Sin? Or do you not care?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Fairly Simple Map   A Fairly Simple Map Empty

Back to top Go down

A Fairly Simple Map
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum :: Archives :: Archives-
Jump to: