Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What I'm Currently Doing

Go down 
+5
AquaAscension
Bartimaeus
Jay.J
Dragonheart91
SinisteRing
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyMon May 11, 2009 9:15 pm

Confidence is =/= to ego. A confident person knows when they are right and is sure of all of their decisions. An egotistical person boasts about themselves regardless of whether anyone cares. Completely different things.
Back to top Go down
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Number of posts : 865

Your Character
Primary Move: Inferno

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyMon May 11, 2009 10:04 pm

Dragonheart91 wrote:
Confidence is =/= to ego. A confident person knows when they are right and is sure of all of their decisions. An egotistical person boasts about themselves regardless of whether anyone cares. Completely different things.

Self-centered describes it more clearly, yes?

I agree with Dragonheart91 on this one...Confidence =/= Egotistical

I am confident in my ability to play Team Fortress 2. That doesn't mean I think I'm the best, or that I am going to say I am the best.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyMon May 11, 2009 10:37 pm

I was merely noting at how Sin chooses to word things.

SinisteRing wrote:
It's probably hard for people to understand what I'm doing most of the time because I skip around a lot. So I'm just going to try to put what I'm currently doing/into in my signature for ease. Just thought it might be a smart idea.

He could have easily just said, playing a new game, play if you want, but his wording centers everything around himself and the importance of him in that subject. I for one found it very "me" centered when the same message could have been delivered in other ways.

@Dragon: It's amazing how I'll call your future arguments in previous posts, and then you use them anyway.

Jay.J wrote:
The only real argument is what constitutes good and bad, which I don't really care to argue and think it's something that's up to the individual to decide.

You're just going to say what you like, or what you do isn't bad. Like Pyth said, you're just downplaying the importance of things. Human nature to rationalize it, or accept it and try to better yourself, which I again talked about.

Jay.J wrote:
Most people who are something "bad" don't want to change, but want everyone else to change and make that thing acceptable instead. You don't want to change, you'd rather everyone accept you for who you are, regardless of if what you're doing is good or bad because it frees you of responsibility.

The thing on seeing who likes you is an odd issue. You used to be quite a different person. I've said this before, but ever since you became "popular" you've changed. You're quite the hypocrite, as I clearly remember you talking about becoming more popular and manipulating those around you to make them better like you, and then you winning some position in your school. President or something of that nature. Seems to contradict the whole "I'll be myself no matter what !" Though, I'm sure you'll clear that right up, won't ya?

@Pyth: I think it's you who misunderstood. The topic just derailed as, pretty sure everyone here see's no forum activity and didn't care about it getting derailed. It's not really about SinisteRing, but about personality, and the concept of self more precisely, in general. You do however hit the nail on the head in regards to how people react to flaws within themselves.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Your Character
Primary Move: Cosines and Sines.

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyMon May 11, 2009 11:11 pm

My computer had some water projected onto it out of a glass that hit the ground, so I've been out of commission for a few days.
(No permanent damage appears to have been done, the projectile water was quite impressive to watch though)
I read this and felt like posting something.

My main point, after I attempted to defend socially inept individuals as not entirely responsible for their own situations, was that being an egotistical jerk is often looked upon as an attractive quality in everyday life, as long as you're at least reasonably impressive. Clearly those who find it attractive would not verbalize the quality as egotistical, but instead use words like "confident".
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Number of posts : 1378

Your Character
Primary Move: Wind Control

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 12:27 pm

ooo ooo do me next!!
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 12:51 pm

diaster wrote:
ooo ooo do me next!!

That's what she said. Bwhaha
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032

Your Character
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 1:56 pm

Jay.J wrote:
diaster wrote:
ooo ooo do me next!!
That's what she said. Bwhaha
That was golden. Lmao.

Dragonheart91 wrote:
You're kind of wrong. Confidence is the basis of ego. Without confidence, you'd have no ego. Think about it. If someone was completely unsure about what they thought, would they seriously go around boasting about themselves being correct? I doubt it.

However, on the note that someone was confident yet not egotistical, is that truly a bad trait? I'd say it depends on the severity, but I confidence, in my opinion, is a very strong trait to have and I believe I have it myself. Thing is, I also have the ego going alongside it.

I admit, I'm a very egotistical, very confident, and a pretty bright person. We all make mistakes, and my ego makes having mistakes pointed out to me very difficult to accept. I naturally flip out and try to prove the other person wrong on their own points instead of accepting the full truth. Does this make me a terrible person? Does this mean I should change? That's where your opinion comes into play, as I see nothing good coming out of changing who I really am. Lie your life, and you'll never know who you really are.
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 3:24 pm

Quote :
I admit, I'm a very egotistical, very confident, and a pretty bright person.

I absolutely lol'd at this sentence. Just throws in a random "Ya, I'm also a smart btw. You know in case you didn't know."

Anyway, confidence is a good thing. Having a BIG ego along side it is not. There's confidence, and then there's arrogance, cockiness, self-centered, egotistical etc. It's not a fine line between confidence, and the other words and in fact there's a noticable difference between the two. The main difference is humbleness and modesty. Confidence, with a hint of humbleness and modesty is far better than along side an ego, which creates the other words (Arrogance, cockiness etc.).

Just like any problem you have two options. Accept it, or downplay/deny the problem. Doing the first ALLOWS improvement and you still can deal with the "stress" or "critique". The second one deals with the "stress" and "critique" but accomplishes nothing but that. By accepting the problem, and then working on it you actually accomplish something IN ADDITION to making yourself feel better.

Example - 2 students fail a test. One studies harder for the next one and gets extra help. The other says "Grades aren't important". Regardless of how true the second persons statement is or is not, they both feel better about themselves but the second persons is short lived (Lasts till the next test) and gets nothing accomplished, where as the first person feels just as good, and for longer as well as accomplishing something.

tl;dr - Work oriented stress relief > Mind oriented stress relief & Confidence is better with modesty opposed to with an ego.
Back to top Go down
RapidFireOmega
RapidFireOmega

Number of posts : 394

Your Character
Primary Move: Controlled Spontaneous Combustion

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 6:17 pm

I will admit I didn't bother to read anything besides the first few posts, but here's my quick 5 second activity on the forums:

Sin is ego-centric and likes to think of himself as superior to others , which is the main reason he uses golden lettering, to distinguish himself as higher than those around him.

Jay significantly wants to be liked by others on the forum, and he accomplishes this by making himself look intelligent and overly-logical at times.

Bart, Dragon, and Pyth are just REALLY bored, which is why they bother posting here. Bart also thoroughly enjoys having debates with Jay.

Diaster likes being an active part of a dead community, but he's chill.

I post here to lol in all of your general directions at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 6:51 pm

RapidFireOmega wrote:
Jay significantly wants to be liked by others on the forum, and he accomplishes this by making himself look intelligent and overly-logical at times.

Bart, Dragon, and Pyth are just REALLY bored, which is why they bother posting here. Bart also thoroughly enjoys having debates with Jay.

1. I enjoy being liked, too. Don't you?

1a. "Looks"? More like, "is".

2. I prefer debates with Jay.J because it's not like the RWP where every guy and his mother comes to get a chance to flame me because they all wish I were dead because I'm a Christian.
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Number of posts : 580

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 7:20 pm

But death for a Christian is awesome, especially if you get a chance to be a martyr! I mean, how could a Christian possibly get a better death than to get mauled by lions, die in a mob angry at him or her, or, best of all, get nailed to a cross! Oh man, you'd be remembered forever if you did that last one. Plus, your teachings of humbleness, forgiveness, respect, and dignity for your fellow man would be forgotten in lieu of people so wanting to be glorified that they'd forget logic, forsake those teachings, and become raving hypocrites.

Get off your high horse and realize that if Christians (in the main stream media) didn't garner such a name for themselves as flaming (pun semi-intended) hypocrites, then they might actually be tolerated with slightly less fear and apprehension.

K?

(Edited for added snippiness)
Back to top Go down
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 7:50 pm

AquaAscension wrote:
Get off your high horse and realize that if Christians (in the main stream media) didn't garner such a name for themselves as flaming (pun semi-intended) hypocrites, then they might actually be tolerated with slightly less fear and apprehension.

My high horse? Haha, look who's being condescending, today. Instead of generalizing, could you give me a few examples of where I have been a flaming hypocrite?

As for hypocritical Christians...yes, I'm not sure if you haven't realize it yet, but most Christians AREN'T real Christians. While they forbid things such as betting, or drinking without moderation, or something like that, at the altar, they condone those kind of things in their every day lives.

My grandpa is a pastor of a church, and when he started saying things like this, people were like, "Oh, well, I guess this religion isn't for me, because I do this like every day", and started leaving. The only ones that remained were the true Christians who were following His teachings. The funny thing is, that the most hypocritical Christians there are, are the ones that think that all non-believers were/are horrible people. Or that homosexuals deserved to die, etc. I don't approve homosexuals, but the Bible clearly states that we're ALL sinners, not just homosexuals. Because of a different sexual preference doesn't mean I'm a cut above all the homosexuals. Redemption and forgiveness were some of the main themes, (and infact, what did Jesus die for? To damn us to eternity? Hadn't he died willingly, this is probably what would've happened, instead), not that God was going to kill you because you did something wrong.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 8:07 pm

Quote :

Interesting how more than one person thinks I need social approval. I don't try to make myself overly-logical or intelligent....that's just who I am.

If I did want to be liked by everyone, I wouldn't take such strong positions in arguments. If anything, that pushes people away that disagree with me. Hell, I don't even have a consistent view of thinking in that I'm all Liberal (Like Dragon) or all Conservative (Like Bart).

Example:
For communism (Far left)
Belief in God (More to the right in western politics)
Against abortion (Right)
etc.

Point is - by taking strong positions, I'm bound to have people not like me...I'm curious as to why people think I need them to like me Neutral.

@Aqua: Death for a (good) Christian IS awesome. I don't see the satire in that. Go to Heaven opposed to rotting in the ground >.> (Or Hell). Though, I do think that's a harsh stereotype. Christians are hypocrites. Atheists are arrogant. Both are condescending Razz.

@Bart: I wish you were dead because you were Christian Smile. It's a compliment, I want to send you to a better place Razz
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 8:08 pm

Not you. I stopped reading after I read "name one place I've been a hypocrite." Read my shit and make sure you understand that, and this is important, I'm NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU. Way to go. Epic fail. I said that Christians "in the mass media" are portrayed as... etc. You, sir, Are NOT IN THE MASS MEDIA. Quit assuming I'm talking about YOU specifically. K?

My pun filled example was Ted Haggard (hence the semi-pun on flaming).
Back to top Go down
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 10:09 pm

AquaAscension wrote:
Not you. I stopped reading after I read "name one place I've been a hypocrite." Read my shit and make sure you understand that, and this is important, I'm NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU. Way to go. Epic fail. I said that Christians "in the mass media" are portrayed as... etc. You, sir, Are NOT IN THE MASS MEDIA. Quit assuming I'm talking about YOU specifically. K?

If you're not talking specifically about me, then why are you talking about it? Haven't I already explained multiple times about what I think is a real and fake Christian? Haven't I explained why my grandma is a fake one, while my grandpa is a real one?

If you're not talking about me as a Christian, then why tell me something I already know?
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 11:30 pm

NO WAI!! you so totally didn't do that Jay! It is ON!!!

Jay your momma is soooo fat, the escape velocity at her surface is 3x10^8 m/s!

BEAT THAT!
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 11:40 pm

Beat that? That's what I did to your mum did last night Smile
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyWed May 13, 2009 12:38 am

Jay.J wrote:
Beat that? That's what I did to your mum did last night Smile
why did you hit my mom! what did she do to you! I'm gonna call the cops you wife beater!
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyWed May 13, 2009 1:11 am

Bartimaeus wrote:
AquaAscension wrote:

If you're not talking specifically about me, then why are you talking about it? Haven't I already explained multiple times about what I think is a real and fake Christian? Haven't I explained why my grandma is a fake one, while my grandpa is a real one?

If you're not talking about me as a Christian, then why tell me something I already know?

I suppose I'd chalk it up to boredom which seems to be a cop out excuse in this thread.

However, the main reason I said something was because you complained:

Bartimaeus wrote:
2. I prefer debates with Jay.J because it's not like the RWP where every guy and his mother comes to get a chance to flame me because they all wish I were dead because I'm a Christian.

Come on, if that's not a wee bit of victimization, then what is?
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyWed May 13, 2009 9:42 am

AquaAscension wrote:
Come on, if that's not a wee bit of victimization, then what is?

What Dragon was saying? There seem to be motifs in this thread.

Diaster wrote:
why did you hit my mom! what did she do to you! I'm gonna call the cops you wife beater!

You set yourself up so hard. So many paths to go down....

Wife beater? So who's your daddy Razz
What did she do to me? Asked me to spank her like the naughty girl she is.
Come to think of it....Beat it is what your mum did to me last night, not the other way around.

Etc etc.

I thought this was going to turn into a back and forth, light hearted flame war, not a one sided thing.
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyWed May 13, 2009 12:15 pm

what? you slept w/ my mom is what your saying? eww....what ever man have your fun with old ladies, I'm gonna go to the club and tap da ass you could of had.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032

Your Character
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyWed May 13, 2009 4:13 pm

And here I was thinking this post would end with a few small flames against my egotistic nature. Three pages later, we're somehow into a "your mum" war.

Amazing. It'll be over within a week, though. I can guarantee that. In the meantime, I should start up something else really small and stupid for us to create a great debate out of.
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 EmptyWed May 13, 2009 7:37 pm

@Diaster: Who says I can't have both? That and you still called me your daddy Razz.
@Sin: You realize just because you guaranteed it will be over in a week, I'll try to make it live at least 8 days?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Currently Doing   What I'm Currently Doing - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What I'm Currently Doing
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum :: Archives :: Archives-
Jump to: