Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Arena Gameplay

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Zync
Elite Mage
Elite Mage

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Karate Chop

Arena Gameplay Empty
PostSubject: Arena Gameplay   Arena Gameplay EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 6:17 pm

I'm finally giving in, and have started to work on a new gameplay type I'm calling Arena. In essence, it is PvP.

I will start by simply making it a free-for-all, where rounds will be 1 minute long, the person with the greatest value at the end of each round will get some kind of bonus (still working it out), and the game will last for about 15 rounds.

Also I will have to shorten the length of various effects on heroes to accommodated this addition (stuns, slows, etc).

Finally, I'm thinking about the possibility of having PvP item sets, but I'm not sure yet, as well as team play, where levels and stat totals will help decide balance. In this team play, teams will be re-decided at the end of each round.

Questions, comments, concerns?
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

Arena Gameplay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arena Gameplay   Arena Gameplay EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 7:14 pm

I have quite a few ideas for this.

#1 No save/load. Arena has increased gold/exp.

#2 Players cannot harm each other, but they get points according to the damage they deal. (More points for damaging players even though it doesn't do damage, and less points for killing creeps.)

#3 There should be neutral creeps which spawn as waves that they players kill for experience, gold, and a small portion of their total points.

So basically, it's the normal game except that there is no way to lose. The game goes for a pre-set number of waves or a pre-set point score. Killing creeps gets you a few points, but attacking players gives quite a bit more points. (Yet you can't actually damage players.) Healing other players should reduce their points equivalent to your point increase when you damage them. (And I'm not sure if it should actually heal or just be for the sake of points.)

What do you think of that idea? I believe it would be completely novel and unlike anything else I've ever seen done in an arena. I also think it would mesh well with the gameplay that is already in place.
Back to top Go down
Zync
Elite Mage
Elite Mage

Your Character

Arena Gameplay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arena Gameplay   Arena Gameplay EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 8:20 pm

I don't like the no save/load, at least not included in in a game mode. An extra option, maybe.

The idea of no drawback from taking damage, is ... pointless ... people would just stand and shoot, and he who deals the most damage would "win", or not, because you can't lose ...

I don't plan on making death stick. All would instant-respawn on death. (Maybe some short timer based on max life, but with 1 minute rounds, it would be very short.)

What you're talking about is a game like Mage Wars or Warlocks. They're fun, but I don't like making maps with no overarching goal, so Metal and Magic is never going to have such a gameplay style.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

Arena Gameplay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arena Gameplay   Arena Gameplay EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 9:02 pm

No, I'm talking about something totally different. Creeps would still deal damage to players, and players would still get their main source of points from attacking each other. The novel concept is that your fighting both creeps and players in two different ways at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Zync
Elite Mage
Elite Mage

Your Character

Arena Gameplay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arena Gameplay   Arena Gameplay EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 1:41 am

Dragonheart91 wrote:
Creeps would still deal damage to players, and players would still get their main source of points from attacking each other.
Yet attacking another player does not hurt them?

Again, I don't see the point. People would just stand and fire to help each other earn gold. Boring and pointless. (This is the same reason why replenishing another Hero's mana does not give you gold.)
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032

Your Character
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

Arena Gameplay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arena Gameplay   Arena Gameplay EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 10:52 am

Best advice I can give you, Zync, learned from experience:

Don't listen to Dragonheart91
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

Arena Gameplay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arena Gameplay   Arena Gameplay EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 12:08 pm

Ouch. Though, it didn't look like he planned on doing it, and Zync knew not caving to the public is good long before you did,
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

Arena Gameplay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arena Gameplay   Arena Gameplay EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 1:03 pm

It was just an idea anyway, I thought it would be unique and could fit the combat system. (Your fighting neutral enemies together but still trying to score points while you do it.)
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Number of posts : 580

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

Arena Gameplay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arena Gameplay   Arena Gameplay EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 6:01 pm

When I read "arena gameplay," I thought of the game "Tribes." This was a great game that featured a mode called arena which was basically a team death match except once you die, you stay dead and the last team standing wins. There were also some other fun games called "Rabbit" (in which there was one flag and everyone tries to grab it and once the flag is grabbed, the player with the flag begins earning points - everyone becomes an enemy of the flag carrier so it's fun to work together then watch people scramble for the flag) "Death Match" (free for all, most kills wins) "Capture the Flag" (self explanatory), and I cannot remember the name of the last one, but it involved scoring points for picking up flags and the returning those flags to a home base somewhere; however, if you were killed before returning to the base, all your flags would drop. As people gathered more flags, they'd start to get pinged as bigger targets. It was fun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Arena Gameplay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arena Gameplay   Arena Gameplay Empty

Back to top Go down

Arena Gameplay
Page 1 of 1