Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A curiosity about the basic spells

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

A curiosity about the basic spells Empty
PostSubject: A curiosity about the basic spells   A curiosity about the basic spells EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 1:36 am

I was wondering just how much they're capable of...Currently nobody really uses them later on in the game but I had an interesting Idea, making a physically based mage which focused on using the basic spells...I'll be giving my basic concept on the build and taking opinions on such.

I will be sticking to the arcane book but that doesn't mean I can't use the elements to my advantage, My element of choice will be wind for one main reason... way of the wind. You get the +140 range bonus without it being in your spell book which effectively gives my mage an extended reach allowing me to hit from up to 740 meters away, respectable. I will also be able to switch books quickly for the use of invisibility and the max movespeed spell when in need of chasing my opponents down.

As far as gear goes...the main weapon will be Claw Gloves giving me the power i need to hurt people and I'm thinking of using Pandaren ring as well, +14 more damage, +10 more stamina, and a hefty amount of regen as well as light power which could add to my damage.

Boots will be the fastest ones i can find (Unsure of off hand which are but i believe to be either boots of hermes or the wind boots.) And i'll more than likely be using the wind armor though I may pick light simply for the armor as well as the potential healing on toggle.

Stats now...

62 Stamina

Rest into power (unsure of what the number will be.)

base essence

With 62 stamina + at least 22 that already bumps my life up to 2200 before boots/armor allowing me to take a decent hit spell wise and hopefully out tank some people if needed. power while adding some physical damage doesn't really add much and the concept of this build is to hit as hard as possible with physical damage. The main reason behind this is because I want to see just how good it can be, we all know its good but what about that 13% critical strike of x3 damage in the basic spell book?

with the 140ish damage i'll be swinging for that means if i crit thats 420 magic damage, and mage armor takes extra damage from magic damage making it hurt just as much as nearly any spell in the game. This build would require a lot of thought while playing and require a great deal of micro to dodge as many of the spells as possible...surviving will be the key to victory with it or so i think. What does everybody else think? Yes/No? Suggestions and/or tips?
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: A curiosity about the basic spells   A curiosity about the basic spells EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 1:44 am

I love the idea. Not because it's good, but because it is unique. Umm since most of your damage will be coming from attacking, I definately recommend Light for bless which will make your damage quite good.

Also I suggest you learn how to attack walk with animation canceling. You attack, and as soon as the animation goes a certain distance, you cancel and walk - which gives you a tremendous amount of time saved for chasing. If you play DotA it's done with Razor a lot because he has a good animation to do it with.

Umm, not sure what else to say besides I like the idea again. I have a mage that is also out of the crowd and not your normal mage. 62 stamina, 14 power, 44(I think) essence. Pure Dark, with arcane as it's secondary. I used the skillpoints to juse get my gear really quickly. With damage boosts from gear, I can easily do well over 1000damge and tank amazingly (I have the accessory with 33% spell resistance). I can disable for quite a while and keep a lot of summons up as I have a large amount essence. Dark Tithe/Infneral/Arcane push/Skeleton mages etc. I don't know...maybe you can get some ideas from that - probably not though as I suggest Light for bless (for DPS) + holy nova for super tanking.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Lagger09
Legendary
Legendary
Lagger09

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: I am the Destroyer of Time... guess...

PostSubject: Re: A curiosity about the basic spells   A curiosity about the basic spells EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 2:52 am

I alreadty have a 47 of a concept like this that im working on, very similar, Wind/Dark but i'm all stam/essence and base power, and i use claw golves, dark shield and boots for basic attack damage, and rely on mainly power independent spells, such as FoD and wind elemental, but also hanging out in the Basic spellbook for Crit and evasion. Considering a 150 attk dmg mage, thats a 13% chance for 450 damage, for no mana, at 740 range. Stat build will be 62/14/48. Hopefully my info will help you in yours, GL.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A curiosity about the basic spells   A curiosity about the basic spells EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 3:30 am

Ah! I didn't even think of that J, I was thinking entirely based on gear, light does have bless which can give a 30% boost. I believe the build will end up with about 40 power, which gives me +10 damage as well from stats, +96 from gloves, I'll definitely end up with wind boots for the high movement as well as the decent +stats. Light armor will also help with tanking so i'll probably end up with that instead of the +10 movement speed on wind armor. For most general purposes I should be able to keep up with the exception of people disabling me and with stuns or people with dark for the +12% move speed...

I believe I should be able to hit 130 base damage pretty easily, +30% gives me another 40'ish for a 170 total as well as a hefty boost to my armor. I should have about 2500-2700 life as well. 510 crits and tanking nearly as well as most MG as well as the ability to give myself a 1000'ish heal when needed. I've started and hit up to 19...sold 90% of my sp as well so i've got 650'ish gold which will be useful for getting all of my needed items quickly (Wearing pandaren ring already so thats 1 item out of the way.)

I like your guys idea on the high stam/essence dark ones though, not quite what i had in mind but it's interesting none the less. As for attack move, I know what you mean, its also done a lot with drow so that you don't lose the person, timing your attacks to hit them each time the slow is about to drop then hitting em again.
Back to top Go down
BashAndSmash
BashAndSmash

Number of posts : 399

Your Character
Primary Move: I Zap You

PostSubject: Re: A curiosity about the basic spells   A curiosity about the basic spells EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 4:23 am

Ah I couldn't put avatar to name well. I think I got you to 16 before I left due to 6 of our sides teamates leaving.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A curiosity about the basic spells   A curiosity about the basic spells EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 4:32 am

Mhmm, Though I was also helping you kill them by trying to keep them seperated via push and the such. Ended up hitting 19 with quests after that and bought a cheap basic weapon to help my damage slightly until 29.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

PostSubject: Re: A curiosity about the basic spells   A curiosity about the basic spells EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 5:17 am

sorry i left but i had to pop fireworks :/

i suggest light over dark, since light (as said before) has bless, and heals. arcane and wind/light sounds good... but you might be missing some things...
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st

PostSubject: Re: A curiosity about the basic spells   A curiosity about the basic spells EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 6:08 am

How useful to tell me i might be missing some things but then leave out what I'm not missing >_>
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: A curiosity about the basic spells   A curiosity about the basic spells EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 6:30 am

If you don't mind dropping the 140 range, the Ice Staff would be very helpful to go with your damage boost. Slow enemies on every attack is quite nice. (Another option would be using the Freezing Staff.) Sadly, either way makes you lose the damage boost from claw gloves.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A curiosity about the basic spells   A curiosity about the basic spells EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 6:41 am

Yeah i've considered that and more or less came to the conclussion that the loss of about 50 damage is painful... I have however wondered if the loss of the 140 range would be made up for by dark...+Damage on dark gear with the claw gloves then the blessing for even more damage...unholy aura if you needed the quick +25-30'ish move speed as well.
Back to top Go down
Lagger09
Legendary
Legendary
Lagger09

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Your Character
Primary Move: I am the Destroyer of Time... guess...

PostSubject: Re: A curiosity about the basic spells   A curiosity about the basic spells EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 1:42 pm

With my build dark is almost a neccesity for heavly damage dealing, due to FoD and Soul Reaper, but in a mage with power, you may be able to safely avoid Dark.
Back to top Go down
BashAndSmash
BashAndSmash

Number of posts : 399

Your Character
Primary Move: I Zap You

PostSubject: Re: A curiosity about the basic spells   A curiosity about the basic spells EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 7:01 pm

you could also go max power rest into stamina if you wanted dmg over hp
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A curiosity about the basic spells   A curiosity about the basic spells EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 8:01 pm

I thought about it and honestly 5 damage vs 500 hp...I'd rather be able to take the additional spell, stamina is much more valuable in my eyes cause the build needs to be able to survive so that they can put out the damage, that 5 damage really isn't worth it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A curiosity about the basic spells   A curiosity about the basic spells Empty

Back to top Go down

A curiosity about the basic spells
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum :: Archives :: Archives-
Jump to: