Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What a bitch to code...

Go down 
+2
Lagger09
Jay.J
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

What a bitch to code... Empty
PostSubject: What a bitch to code...   What a bitch to code... EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 7:56 am

Sigh, gotta get this off me:

I'm coding an M-Spell that will make a 500 AoE crater for 4 seconds, then pull people into it depending on the range between them and the center and damaging people who are close enough to the epicenter. It's... taking... forever... I have to think SO hard to get it right. I'm not even sure if it'll work, but I will do it no matter how long it takes. Same with the shield system (which wont be in 7.11 but w/e... it'll come, I promise you!).

You may know that it's earth, but I'm not giving the other element.
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: What a bitch to code...   What a bitch to code... EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 8:06 am

Mmm....Earth is the obvious of the two...I have my guesses about the second one though I'm not sure if I'm right or not and don't wish to spoil it if i am right. better to wait and see.

Yeah thats some pretty tricky stuff you're into, don't see too many maps who will use that sort of coding, infact i've seen none who base the pull and damage on how close you get...I've seen you try to walk out and get sucked back in with a simple overall damage in the middle a few times but never that, sounds like it'll be amazing to see.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: What a bitch to code...   What a bitch to code... EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 8:47 am

I tried it out - the sucking in doesn't work currently. The effect works with the sinkhole, the animation within it, and I think the damage works. But I need to recode about half the spell right now to make it work flawlessly.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: What a bitch to code...   What a bitch to code... EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 10:49 am

Jay.J wrote:
rupture
Has absolutely nothing to do with distance to a point.

Jay.J wrote:
Impetus
This is mad easy to code. Take the distance and multiply it by 0.04/0.08/0.12/0.16.

The spell I'm working on takes a group from an AoE and uses movement instead of damage. The damage done is set, but only in a certain small area near the epicenter. I'm also trying a new movement method that allows the victims to move and cast spells (like in warlock) to make sure it's able to be escaped.

UPDATE: It simply refuses to work. Bringing the code to the THW (The Hive Workshop) for immediate repair.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: What a bitch to code...   What a bitch to code... EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 11:07 am

Oohh, moving and casting Smile. Have fun with the coding...Rolling Eyes
Also I just realized that guy is from mortal combat in your signature
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Lagger09
Legendary
Legendary
Lagger09

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Your Character
Primary Move: I am the Destroyer of Time... guess...

PostSubject: Re: What a bitch to code...   What a bitch to code... EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 1:38 pm

hmm, I know you dont like taking idea from other games, but I know Age of Myths has a spell that sounds similar to this. Perhaps looking at their coding will help, as I beleve it too uses Vjass.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: What a bitch to code...   What a bitch to code... EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 2:02 pm

Don't worry - Vexorian's currently helping me with it (I think... he's really sarcastic!).
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

PostSubject: Re: What a bitch to code...   What a bitch to code... EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 2:44 pm

1- aw dang does this mean arcane isnt going to have arcane implosion? confused

2- you could make it easier, and create some dummy units with different ranged immolations at the caster's feet.

3-along with the dummy guys, the pull is separate. that way you wont have any problems with this.
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: What a bitch to code...   What a bitch to code... EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 2:50 pm

kuro wrote:
1- aw dang does this mean arcane isnt going to have arcane implosion? confused

2- you could make it easier, and create some dummy units with different ranged immolations at the caster's feet.

3-along with the dummy guys, the pull is separate. that way you wont have any problems with this.
Damage works fine. Number are wrong, I think, for the pull, which makes it look like it does nothing. It's almost done, though.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

PostSubject: Re: What a bitch to code...   What a bitch to code... EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 2:57 pm

oo okay, i suggest like .5-1 second cast time (slam the ground or whatever) and then for about 3 seconds the spell is sucking in everyone.

and also... why post ths 'what a btch to code' when you were almost done anyway? silent
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: What a bitch to code...   What a bitch to code... EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 3:15 pm

kuro, all of your suggestions are using GUI dummy units. I just want to point out that SinisteRing is using a totally different language in this map, and doesn't need dummy units most of the time. (Also, dummy units cause leaks and slow things down sometimes.)
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: What a bitch to code...   What a bitch to code... EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 3:56 pm

I'd also like to mention that the spell is done, yet could use some SERIOUS tuning. It's all slow and trippy. I guess I will work on a few things and come back to it when I'm ready. That took about 3 hours straight of coding to finish.
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Your Character
Primary Move: Cosines and Sines.

PostSubject: Re: What a bitch to code...   What a bitch to code... EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 5:07 pm

I can give it a go if you want, without using an engine I'll have to start from scratch. Whats the range? And do you want it to accelerate them? or just apply a velocity based on the range? and do you want it to pull them more if they are closer or is the force greater the further they are from the center?

Or i could just take a look at what you have already, although that could be more difficult, depending on how long the code is.

Edit: Btw, i'm brainstorming force fields for my kobold engine atm, think Tornados and things of that nature.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What a bitch to code...   What a bitch to code... EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 8:02 pm

Dragonheart91 wrote:
(Also, dummy units cause leaks and slow things down sometimes.)

Possibly slow things down but only cause leaks if you're an idiot who can't finish a proper code...I've used dummy spells in my things forever and never had a problem with memory leaks...just need to make sure you cover all your bases.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What a bitch to code...   What a bitch to code... Empty

Back to top Go down

What a bitch to code...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum :: Archives :: Archives-
Jump to: