Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08)

Go down 
+4
Piddagoras
ÐeathByCyanide
Lagger09
Rhys
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhys
Map Maker
Rhys

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Atomic Tea-Bag

State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08) Empty
PostSubject: State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08)   State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08) EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 6:12 pm

As everyone knows I took the map and starting working on some issues, one thing led to another and I found myself being interested in learning jass more and more with every bug I fixed. SinisteRing Has left the Map Making Responsibility on the table, I'm not entirely sure if hes leaving the community all together or if he just doesn't want the responsibility anymore. In Any event I hope he does well with whatever project he undertakes next, I have a feeling his creative ideas wont be contained inside Combat Arms forever. I wish Him luck and hope all goes well and that he comes to play every now and then.

Now onto more pressing matters. When I downloaded the open source of MM&M I did not intend to take the map making responsibility. In fact as far as experience with Jass and the World Editor, well lets be honest I had absolutely none of either, I never even opened the World Editor before I downloaded the open source. I'm a very fast learner when it comes to programming and my intention is to add Jass to my list of things I can program in, I may not do this by next week but I can promise that it will get done.

In the mean time I am on a learning curve, Ive figured out the basics of Jass, I can read it and interpret it. Also I can handle changing in and out data and creating new things as well, the Caster System is still a bit to advanced for me to screw with at the moment but I did get in there and I could at least understand what everything was doing and why its there. Now as many have read Pythagoras has been working on the more complicated issues going on with MM&M, Him and I have been in contact and I expect his first changes to be shipped my way in the near term future, what he has in store for us is nothing short of amazing. If what he says is true it should solve multiple bugs with various spells, the list of things that will be streamlined from his new system is fairly staggering to say the least, I give many kudos to him for it.

So that is all the good news. Let us cover the Map now, Where will it be next month? A Very Good Question.
1.) Stabilize
2.) Balance
3.) Content

Rinse and Repeat. These are the steps I will be taking when I approach this map every time I work on it. My First priority is always going to be to make sure the map is stable, so when someone downloads the map they can assure themselves they will have a bug free map, there not going to get screwed over by something they cant even control. This is My priority at all times. Now if I have a stable map the next priority is to Balance the Content already in there, this includes changing content already established in the game as well as completely redoing spells. Most everything besides Bugs is considering to be in this category. After all is said and done my last priority is Content, which is basically New and Unique additions to the game, for the first month I will be relying on Pythagoras for any new M-Spells after that we will share the responsibility of it until each M-Book has a unique Spell attached to it. Basically all this means is that the maps bugs and issues will be solved as they arise from this point on I feel we have a fairly stable map, any bugs new or old should be listed on the forums from this point on with a header of 7.12c or later, this way I will know whats going on and I can work on the appropriate issues instead of chasing month old ghosts. Also any balances that I may change are completely open to discussion as far as I'm concerned. I can promise you that I will not fold to popular opinion on what should be buffed and nerfed and only logical suggestions will be considered. So if you have a suggestion or an argument on why something should be Buffed or nerfed please put in the forums with a header of 7.12c or later.

When all is said and done I want everyone to know I will apply myself to this as best I can, give a big thanks to Pythagoras and Diaster as Well as DeathByCyanide, and of course to me as well=p
Back to top Go down
Lagger09
Legendary
Legendary
Lagger09

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Your Character
Primary Move: I am the Destroyer of Time... guess...

PostSubject: Re: State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08)   State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08) EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 6:40 pm

cheers Hats off to you, and Pyth too. Plz don't ever hesitate to ask for help, we want this to suceed as much as you do, and most, if not all of us (I think, can't truly speak for all but I hope I'm close), would do anything in our power, as long as its legal, to help. 👍
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Number of posts : 1378
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Primary Move: Wind Control

PostSubject: Re: State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08)   State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08) EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 7:04 pm

I don't know what you can thank me for, I haven't done a thing, its all you and Pyth, good job so far btw, I gotta admit you are learn it quite fast, just be sure to ask for help (probably from Pyth) whenever you need it and don't burn yourself out, don't want another incident like w/ Sin.
Back to top Go down
ÐeathByCyanide
GFX Artist
GFX Artist
ÐeathByCyanide

Number of posts : 524

Your Character
Primary Move: Combustion-

PostSubject: Re: State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08)   State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08) EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 10:54 pm

Now I just need to download WC3 World Editor, somehwere off the interwebs >:-D
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Your Character
Primary Move: Cosines and Sines.

PostSubject: Re: State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08)   State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08) EmptySat Aug 02, 2008 12:44 am

DeathByCyanide wrote:
Now I just need to download WC3 World Editor, somehwere off the interwebs >:-D

You'll need the NewGen editor to actually save a map that contains vJass, which MM&M does
Back to top Go down
TanK_OwneR
Apprentice Sage
Apprentice Sage
TanK_OwneR

Number of posts : 718
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Face Pwn

PostSubject: Re: State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08)   State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08) EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 4:39 pm

woooo!
(and thats all i have to say about that)
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08)   State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08) EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 11:26 pm

Good message, to the public well spoken. Also good priorities. I wish you guys luck in the making of the map, hopefuly you guys can take it further and stick with it for longer Razz.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj

PostSubject: Re: State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08)   State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08) EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 11:14 am

Silly! Wait till starcraft 2 comes out. It has a better editor than warcraft 3. And you could probably remake MM&M there.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08)   State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08) EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 11:19 am

We aren't remaking it, we are continuing it. In addition, the SC2 World Editor is going to be identical to the WC3 version. The only differences will be that it has less units, and (There aren't as many Starcraft units.) that the main language is changing to something more akin to C++.

Really, I almost think the WC3 modding community would be better off staying. We already have incredible advanced tools for customizing our language, and SC2 will take a while to develop that.
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Number of posts : 1378

Your Character
Primary Move: Wind Control

PostSubject: Re: State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08)   State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08) EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 1:03 pm

really? I was hopeing that blizzard would come up with some gods send of an editor, kinda like how the WC3 editor was back when it first came out. Guess I'll just have to wait and see...
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08)   State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08) EmptyMon Aug 11, 2008 1:08 pm

Well, I could be wrong. But what I have been hearing is that the SC2 editor isn't really an improvement.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08)   State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08) Empty

Back to top Go down

State of the Game - A New Beginning (8/01/08)
Page 1 of 1