Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

End of the world ?

Go down 
+8
Piddagoras
BashAndSmash
kuro
Dragonheart91
SkapeGoat
Lagger09
diaster
Bartimaeus
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SkapeGoat
Powerful Mage
Powerful Mage

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Invis cloak?

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 10:47 pm

http://news. zdnet. co. uk/emergingtech/0,1000000183,39486094,00. htm
opinions ?
Back to top Go down
SkapeGoat
Powerful Mage
Powerful Mage

Your Character

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 10:48 pm

Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Number of posts : 580
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:15 pm

No, not the end. A new beginning perhaps. What they're trying to do is figure out exactly what atomic particles are made up of on a subatomic level. It'll be interesting but not world-ending.
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Number of posts : 1378

Your Character
Primary Move: Wind Control

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:17 pm

not if they mess up and make another big bang w/o knowing it. Looking like its good I didn't do my homework due Thursday after all!
Back to top Go down

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:20 pm

they better not SC2 isnt out yet i havnt got a chance to play it... and now europe is going to "restart" the world... and in the year of 2008-2009 A.D. it will "restart" AGAIN... and do this over and over and over and over again until the end of time... i bet this has already happened thousands of times... we are simply replaying history over and over again restarting with this event...
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:25 pm

You know it'd be virtually impossible to create "another big bang" right? I.e. the big bang was when every single atom in the entire known universe was in one point at one time. The heat, pressure, and energy exerted inward became so great that everything exploded. Things started drifting apart, cooling, and eventually stars formed. Planets, solar systems cropped up. Eventually, certain stars died, but, from their death, new atoms were formed.

I don't see how another truly big bang would be possible without a great amount of substance. Nuclear bombs only work because they have a large enough chunk of uranium. Without that critical mass, nothing happens. And let me tell you, the UK won't risk losing that much money to incompetence. Nothing epicly bad will happen. Mostly because, I think, it can't happen. Physics forbids it, but my knowledge lies with characters like Emerson instead of Einstein, so what would I know?

What, iTunes, did you become nihilistic all of a sudden?
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:29 pm

I love Philisophical/Religous debates...but I get too into them. I'll stay out of it.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:34 pm

in actuality, the end of the world is supposed to come at 2013.

also the world has 'ended' itself 4-5 times in the past (first birth of earth, end of dinosaurs, ice age, atlantis go bye bye, etc)
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st
SkapeGoat
Powerful Mage
Powerful Mage

Your Character

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:36 pm

but aqua... the recreating the big bang isnt really the problem.... its the tiny blackholes that have the chance to destroy our universe.
Back to top Go down
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Number of posts : 865

Your Character
Primary Move: Inferno

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:39 pm

Yawn. Been here, done that. Please, if you're going to have a religious debate, keep the flaming out, or I will close this. Chances are, though, you guys will still end up flaming, as religious threads tend to.
Back to top Go down
SkapeGoat
Powerful Mage
Powerful Mage

Your Character

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:41 pm

religion hasnt been brought up yet lol ? i would be happy to have one though +)
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:47 pm

I'd say this is more of a scientific/philosophical debate than it is a religious or political one. Those ones, unfortunately, degenerate into epicly lame flame wars. It's disgusting that a debate can't be held over those two topics without people losing their minds.

Okay, on topic for me now.

I just don't think that there would be enough mass for a black hole to be formed. You know what a black hole is right? It's a star that is so immense that instead of exploding when it runs out of fuel, it implodes on itself. Because the star had so much mass, all of that mass shrinks in on itself, getting smaller and smaller until the weight of an *entire star* (imagine that!!!) is compressed into a single point hence the term singularity for black hole. The weight is so immense but when combined with being in a single point, the gravity becomes infinite.

However, the weight has to be there first... but, again, that is my limited understanding of the weird world of physics and space and all that other stuff. I should probably stick to reading the works of dead people, but learning about the universe is amazingly intoxicating.
Back to top Go down

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 11:59 pm

Bartimaeus wrote:
Yawn. Been here, done that. Please, if you're going to have a religious debate, keep the flaming out, or I will close this. Chances are, though, you guys will still end up flaming, as religious threads tend to.

whose flaming?

AquaAscension wrote:
What, iTunes, did you become nihilistic all of a sudden?

lol no

as for this "debate" as we are calling it now... i honestly understand nothing about black holes big gang etc etc..

tho as someone said earlier that the big bang isnt possible.. it is.. if someone could make a device that could pull everything into the same spot in the millionth of a millionth of a second it would explode AGAIN causing the ressurected big bang! which i believe is very possible.. just like using the other 90% of our brains is possible we simply have to learn...

Last edited by Demonic_iTunes on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SkapeGoat
Powerful Mage
Powerful Mage

Your Character

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 12:01 am

i see what you mean, i agree that another big bang could not be reproduced, because there was never one to begin with. It makes me happy that all the 4 million (or is it billion?) dollars, or euros, that went into this will someday lead to the next "golden age" of discovery lol. Jet Boots FTW +)
Back to top Go down

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 12:05 am

SkapeGoat wrote:
i see what you mean, i agree that another big bang could not be reproduced, because there was never one to begin with. It makes me happy that all the 4 million (or is it billion?) dollars, or euros, that went into this will someday lead to the next "golden age" of discovery lol. Jet Boots FTW +)

lol @ jet boots haha...

as for you saying there was NO big bang.. i believe there was a big bang.. however for those who think that god did not have anything to do with our creation i say to you "quit talking out your ass dumbshit..."
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Number of posts : 1378

Your Character
Primary Move: Wind Control

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 12:23 am

lol but you realize were not 100% sure what cause the big bang, though the theory is it happened that way. What if one object hitting another at these speeds is what caused the series of reactions that cause the big bang to occur in the first place!? you can't disprove it because the big bang is just a theory itself!
Back to top Go down

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 12:29 am

you talking to me? i wasnt trying to disprove it.. im trying to prove it lol... if you are talking to someone else then YEAH WHAT DIASTER SAID!

tho this could alter my device theory lol... well i believe that any device can be created if we simply learn.. could take us hundreds or even thousands of years.. but i do believe that we could re-create the big bang if we learned and created!
Back to top Go down
SkapeGoat
Powerful Mage
Powerful Mage

Your Character

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 12:33 am

lol well since we all agree now (assumption) that the world will not end.... I got a new question... If you could have one choice of an invention from the future what would it be... mine would for sure be either Jet Boots, or iron man style chest thing that shoots lazerz FTW
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Your Character
Primary Move: Cosines and Sines.

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 1:22 am

The problem with jet boots and chest thingies that shoot lasers is that there is no size and power efficient power source to run those things. Iron Man as a fictional creation solves this by inventing some sort of super reactor that is both small and powerful.

A new big bang simply cannot occur, because if you believe the big bang occurred, then you believe that there is a finite amount of matter and energy in our physical universe. For a bang of comparable magnitude to occur, the entire universe would have to be compressed by some means into a singularity. The process of causing such a compression would most certainly exterminate all of us and take more than we can possibly fathom to perform.

They're merely going to accelerate a larger amount of particles towards each other at (probably) higher velocities and see if they can have resulting currently theoretical particles occur. They'll probably just do some experiments, record some results, draw some useless conclusions, and then all of that money from goverment grants and rich idiots will be wasted.

You can tell I'm not big on the scientific method. Math is more my game.

Edit: I'm not going to take any action, but I believe this would be more appropriate in the garbage can.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 1:40 am

we only use 10% of our brain because the other 90% is for more trivial things like storing memory.

shooting atoms at eachother will do something, maybe explode, (splitting an atom can explode) but not as much as a big bang.

the big bang was a HUGE HUGE HUGE explosion of matter, black holes need huge stars, ans so a few items wont create a black hole, much less a big bang.

iron man is totally possible, if we had enough power. the problem with jet boots is that you will lose your balance, your feet will get set on fire, and a whole lot of other complications- jet packs are possible because they can store just enough fuel (space jetpacks) and without gravity out there, you need less power.

one could get space jet boots but it might fling an astronaut in the wrong directions, and/or not have much fuel.
Back to top Go down
Lagger09
Legendary
Legendary
Lagger09

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Your Character
Primary Move: I am the Destroyer of Time... guess...

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 1:45 am

I don't think that the 6 different quarks they "found" are really 6 different ones, considering they are basing it off of how they spin when they hit something, and that would mean we have 6 different kinds of baseballs. Considering more and more evidence disproving The Big Bang is being discovered, I'm not worried.

Odd thought: Would you be more of a pessimist if you thought the acellerator wouldn't work, or if it would make a big bang/black hole?
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 1:54 am

6 kinds of baseballs: regular, powerball, screwball, spitball, curveball, *insert other creative baseball throws here*

how was the big bang created? was there already civilizations in this universe before this 'big bang'? or was it the Covenant from Halo blowing up their 'halos' creating a huge explosion... or implosion...

i am an optimist and not a pessimist. however even an optimist can say that they wouldn't think a discovery by a few scientists dealing with atoms would not recreate the big bang. maybe im just being optimistic about failure? a failure optimist.
Back to top Go down
SkapeGoat
Powerful Mage
Powerful Mage

Your Character

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:21 am

kuro wrote:
your feet will get set on fire.
lol at flame feet +)
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Your Character
Primary Move: Cosines and Sines.

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 2:43 am

Storing enough fuel to power "jet boots" is inefficient, at least when you're countering the effects of gravity, flight by such methods is ridiculous at best.

The story everyone seems to tell about human beings using 10% of their brain is vastly inaccurate in the context in which most people mean it. Human beings use ALL of their brain, every part is used, only 10% is used at a time, because if 100% of a human's neurons fired at the same moment, they would have a seizure, their brain would cook due to the heat, and they would die.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 3:56 am

yup, the 10% being used is like common sense factors, memory recollection, day dreams, basica math planning and orginization thing.

and you wouldn't have a seizure if you used 100% of your brain. your brain would explode. or, at least, have a stroke, make you pass out, and your brain would be turned into mush from the vast electrical impulse and blood flow. lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

End of the world ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End of the world ?   End of the world ? Empty

Back to top Go down

End of the world ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum :: Archives :: Archives-
Jump to: