Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Something really needed...

Go down 
+7
Piddagoras
diaster
ÐeathByCyanide
Belial
Dragonheart91
Lagger09
kuro
11 posters
AuthorMessage
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

Something really needed... Empty
PostSubject: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 1:12 am

we desperately need a noob guide. i discussed this with shae earlier.

new people never equip their gear and they need to be told at least 20 times before they actually do. other things apply, such as choosing an element, or what sp is... etc.

people from the clan have to tell them over and over again what to do. and sometimes it doesnt even sink in.

25% of people... leave because they dont get it
60% of people... dont save because they think the concept is too hard and never play again.
15% of people... save and continue playing.

we need a noob guide in-game. desperately.
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st
Lagger09
Legendary
Legendary
Lagger09

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: I am the Destroyer of Time... guess...

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 1:17 am

Didn't one get created, and wasn't it going to be put in?
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 1:34 am

one was created but not added into the game. im saying we really need a noob guide. if we add in new updates AND a noob guide, MM&M will spread like crazy... but if people see MM&M and decide they dont like it, they wont join again because they have a set mindset that they dont know how to play and this and that.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 2:12 am

If Pythagoras read this, it would be nice if he put one of the noob guides that someone typed into F9. (If you get the chance.) Or, feel free to type up or edit them or make your own as you wish. But yes, it would be nice to have one. (And pretty easy to add. It should only take like 2 minutes.)
Back to top Go down
Belial
Master Mage
Master Mage
Belial

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2008-07-23
Location : No ty, i don't want people to try to rape me in my own house.

Your Character
Primary Move: Posession

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 7:39 am

I made a noobie guide some time ago. It's so simple even a total idiot (Unless he can't read, but then how could he get warcraft installed) could understand it.

https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com/general-suggestions-f18/noobie-guide-t653.htm

-Belial
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 5:23 pm

A noob guide wolud be graciously appreciated. Its alot easier to tell someone to press F9 then tell them over and over again what to do. I also have seen alot of noobs that don't save because they don't even get the whole save/load concept.
Back to top Go down
ÐeathByCyanide
GFX Artist
GFX Artist
ÐeathByCyanide

Number of posts : 524

Your Character
Primary Move: Combustion-

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 5:58 pm

I doubt people will read a noob guide for on a forums, for a game they didnt understand.
I just say it auto displays noob tips whenever someone picks new mage, or is level one.
Back to top Go down
Lagger09
Legendary
Legendary
Lagger09

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 7:09 pm

My General Guide is in Helpful Threads, if you want to use it. I don't discount it as a good idea, and obviously hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 11:40 pm

belial said something like this before...

'input a function so that when they say '-i am noob' the noob guide pops up'

something short and simple... either a command or an F9.
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Number of posts : 1378

Your Character
Primary Move: Wind Control

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 11:45 pm

or maybe -help? I'm sure all of this has been discussed really...
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 11:54 pm

pythagoras needs to get in here.

also i suggest we use belial's guide as a temp, until we can get a better one, over lagger's since lagger's is a bit long Razz
Back to top Go down
Lagger09
Legendary
Legendary
Lagger09

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 1:02 am

Mine wasn't meant for in game, I suppose its more of something you link in game to. Belial's will work fine, if we can get it put in, I agree that it will help get more people to stay

Perhaps if there is space on the load screen, we should say there is such a command, so people know its there.
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Your Character
Primary Move: Cosines and Sines.

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 1:21 am

kuro wrote:
something short and simple... either a command or an F9.

We can't even get first timers to click their items, how do you expect us to convince them to F9 or type a whole word?
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Number of posts : 1378

Your Character
Primary Move: Wind Control

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 1:38 am

ya...maybe just something that flashes all player unless a command is given not 2? like instead of tips off noob off.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 1:48 am

That brings up another issue, I think that your starting items should be automatically equipped, and there should be some kind of obvious thing that you can't avoid that has explanations of how the equipping system works and such.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 4:37 am

about dragon's suggestion... i have thought of this before but i didnt think it was possible. but if it is then sure its a good solution.

i believe that noobs dont even see the message down there some times... theyre too caught up in the whole 'battle' and this and that. just for some comparison... dota is fairly straightforward. buy items, level up, etc. mm&m is more complicated; other than having multiple heroes per lane, with everyone casting spells while you're still trying to figure out gear, gold, sp, and spellbooks... no suprise noobs get lost in the confusion.

if at the beginning of the game or something it says 'Make sure you equip your gear! (click to equip)' then it would be a lot easier than being told over and over when they aren't even looking at the chat.
Back to top Go down
TanK_OwneR
Apprentice Sage
Apprentice Sage
TanK_OwneR

Number of posts : 718
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Face Pwn

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 6:05 pm

k ima just say this for this topic
We need a Newb guide
not a Noob guide
Noob=sucky player
Newb=New player hence the NEW in it
(just a clarification)
(another thing i must say is idk what nub means... it doesnt fit the Noob/Newb cycle)
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 6:26 pm

What we need is 8.00 and a mapmaker Sad
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Number of posts : 865

Your Character
Primary Move: Inferno

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 7:57 pm

Nooby guide? For what?

I did just fine on my first try playing it. All you need is a few pointers from another player, and you're good to go.
Back to top Go down
Belial
Master Mage
Master Mage
Belial

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2008-07-23
Location : No ty, i don't want people to try to rape me in my own house.

Your Character
Primary Move: Posession

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 8:07 pm

Noobs usually don't know how to equip items, get gold or spells and you can tell them how to get all of that but after you did that 50 times it gets old.

There are also people who lack common sense and they won't listen to anything you say. Once 5 people tried to explain how to equip his items but he just shouted that hes items aren't working. The hosted kicked him after 20 minutes of shouting.

It would help if there is a simple guide under the quest tab so you can just tell them to press F9 and you can continue playing.

-Belial
Back to top Go down
DarkDjinni
God of Ice
God of Ice
DarkDjinni

Number of posts : 297

Your Character
Primary Move: Change This To Your Own Special Move In Your Profile

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 8:07 pm

Bartimaeus wrote:
Nooby guide? For what?

I did just fine on my first try playing it. All you need is a few pointers from another player, and you're good to go.

Agreed my first ever game I just read the tips supplied and the items and I had the basics down. Not exactly hard, I had to ask how to spend skill points though Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 12:40 am

So essentially we need to stupid proof the map with a guide, rather then make a noob guide.

Last anns game i remember playing one of the guys insisted he couldn't use a spellbook, he got to 35 before using anything other then arcane spells -.-.
Back to top Go down
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Number of posts : 865

Your Character
Primary Move: Inferno

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 1:04 am

It needs more of a common sense guide than a nooby guide. Every map needs a common sense guide.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 2:21 am

i completely agree with kuro, when users are playing mmm for the first time it seems very complicated because of its unique gameplay system (with item equips, element choice etc) and experianced players always have to explain what to do and how to do it.

25% of people... leave because they dont get it
60% of people... dont save because they think the concept is too hard and never play again.
15% of people... save and continue playing.

kuro has stated this and is about 100% right, 85% of users are lost and dont know what to do, a noob guide is defintiely needed. Perhaps put some text in the loading screen or in the quest menu.

A noob guide will attract more users to the game and to the MMM forums
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something really needed...   Something really needed... Empty

Back to top Go down

Something really needed...
Page 1 of 1