Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Regarding My Attitude - MM&M

Go down 
+3
kuro
Jay.J
SinisteRing
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

Regarding My Attitude - MM&M Empty
PostSubject: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 10:00 pm

THIS TOPIC IS FREE FOR FLAMING, MEANING FLAMING RULES DO NOT APPLY

I have found that many people still somehow found that the thread that held MM&M together a few months ago is still as strong as it was at the time. I'd like to be the bringer of bad news, and yes, I'd like it, because I'd like to inform you that the thread that MM&M has been hanging from has snapped from the pressure of holding MM&M on it's feet, and now MM&M lays dead on the ground. However, where there is misfortune, there is hope, as I also bring news of a way to retie that rope and continue anew, as I know the state that MM&M is in from the inside out.

Everyone on the forums hopes and prays that someone will take over MM&M from the other person who lost interest within a month or so of receiving the map. There has been so many hand-offs and collaboration that people have lost the finer point of doing so: the map changed drastically in a direction that it was not supposed to go. As programmers might know, it's extremely hard to read the inlining that other programmers use, or for those who don't know about programming... you might say it's their "font & format" for coding.

The problem with MM&M now is the fact that Zync had a vision as to where MM&M should go, and it was destroyed many months ago... before he left the forums. I was a liberal, bringing radical and drastic changes to the game over the next week, and continuing to do so for another map. Yes, progress was made. Yes, it took a different direction. However, the community lost a lot of potential, because the Mona Lisa could not be painted half by Davinci and the other by Michaelangelo. It would just not look right, due to the differences in the people... not the painting. Two people will always have a different input and outlook on what a project is to become and what it is. Thus, the handing off of the map so many times condemned MM&M to this tragic fate in the overall.

However, there is a way to restore MM&M to it's full glory. No, it's not by handing it off to Zync, as it would twist the map in another excrutiating direction, as the dismemberment of the map is currently at it's fullest potential. It's like having Zync train a cat to like swimming, and then when it got handed off, the people who took it showed it the sun and land. Putting it back into the original state, adapting yet again, will wear the map down a bit too far for recovery.

The way back to full glory of MM&M is to remake it. A team needs to be developed or a person willing to reduplicate the project is the best way to go. Buying a watermelon with seeds and picking all of the seeds out with a chomper tool will disfigure the watermelon, in the first place, and then the fact of how much time it takes would make it completely not worth the time. However, going to the grocery store and buying a new, seedless one, would be far more efficient for the price you'd have to pay (more money). The money would be the community members we have, the seeds the problems with MM&M, and the watermelon would be MM&M itself.

This idea is far-fetched, and I'm most likely going to get flamed for it and people saying I'm just trying to clear my name like a little kid, then flame this line for being here and the chain never continues. But how about we take a step back and just look at where the forums are. There have been requests to ban 2 people, which hasn't happened since about 2 months ago. Seriously, we need to reshape this and start reworking from the start. Then, we shall see where it ends up.
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 10:23 pm

*Hands SinisteRing a flame shield.* Will comment after hearing the communities views.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 10:37 pm

edit: im just ridding this topic of this crap..

im terribly pissed but i went off the edge a bit

so im just gonna stay neutral about the subject as thinking about it makes me want to go off..

Last edited by Demonic_iTunes on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 11:06 pm

@ demonic...

...abusing the 'flaming is okay' rule lol xP

i can see where sin is coming from. but i believe that its okay where it is... it wouldbe beter if it started from scratch but that would be a LOT of work.

i'd rather turn in a 2-page mini essay for 9/10 points than rewriting it for 10/10 points. if i was redoing a 3/10 point paper than sure i would redo it. but mm&m isnt in that critical of a state.

all it needs now is new additions Smile

sin, i would like to know what you feel needs redoing... mana fountain... maybe... but what else? spellbooks? we need Zync here too. and maybe pyth.
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 pm

i dont care if im abusing this whole fucking thing pisses me off..
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Number of posts : 1378

Your Character
Primary Move: Wind Control

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 11:41 pm

well idk sin I do know what your getting at, but one thing I'm incline to say is that from an outside point of view you can often times see flaws the creator cannot, which is to say yes the game will be redirected some but in the time frame the map has been w/ rhys/pyth you gotta really ask yourself what has changed that wasn't preplanned? I mean they added m-spells remade 2-3 spells and optimized code really. They didn't have enough time with it to completely change or even nudge the direction imo. So by that logic the map has been through two hands, your and Zync's and from what I can tell most of what you did the community agrees was for the better, meaning the direction you turned it wasn't that bad, and I think as long as the community continues to help guide the map it won't stray far from the path.
Back to top Go down
TanK_OwneR
Apprentice Sage
Apprentice Sage
TanK_OwneR

Number of posts : 718
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Face Pwn

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 11:55 pm

oi ima have to say sins "MM&M=Deader then death its self" theory is 100% true at this point
i say we switch to a different map OR OR Put your nuclear minds together and make a better one (TanK likes option 2)

side noteish ive been waiting for the opportunity to flame AND I CANT Sad
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 11:57 pm

im just gonna delete my posts.. i cant believe im the only one who is pissed at sin's uncaring attitude about the situation..

edit: AH CRAP i cant delete em...
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 12:07 am

that is because your quick to anger, and care more than you should about peoples opinions when they are different from your own.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 12:20 am

Sin is saying to start from when Zync handed the map too him - or maybe use 8.00 with all the code optimizations and then take out all M-spells, the fountain etc.

I don't know if you guys remember how he is actually now against things like M-spells, even level caps if I remember...
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 12:26 am

M-spells were intended by zync and level caps just made the game more aos friendly, though I'm starting to wonder if the fusion is what is holding the map back...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 12:29 am

im starting to think the other way about level caps.. i think if people want massivly insane power or stamina let em.. they will be easy to manipulate in the end, massive power = dies easily, massive stam = cant kill anyone for crap.. unless they were spamming mg on earth.. the balanced players will be the ones to prevail in the end..
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 12:32 am

Doesn't matter what was intended - Sin doesn't like them. He has a different view - and it's funny.

He talks about two great painters both painting half of one painting and it not looking right - but doesn't realize that's what makes things great. Bi-partisan works that 2 different minds work on - it just has to be done in the right way and done together. Conservatives AND Liberals = win. Just one side = only a few things get done.

It's because he has a one-sided view - that he doesn't realize the things that "ruined" the map (done by him) aren't that bad. I mean he did see the value in it at one point in time. He just completely changed views though from Liberal to Conservative (And he's 16 so it's semi-expected). It's all about balance not one side - like he wants it to revert to.

And @ Demonic: I played back in that time and argued against stat caps. I think it's better this way for pure balance reasons. If you have a higher max level it's harder to have balanced teams because it might be IMPOSSIBLE to balance with a high enough level of one person.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 12:36 am

well since your knowledgable about it i wont argue.. tho it would be interesting to see how it would effect gameplay at its current level..

cause so far the stat cap allows for hardly any uniqueness, 50% mages have 28 stamina, 34 essence, and 62 power, 40% have 34 pow, 62 stam, and 28 ess, and 10% have something else..

allows for very little originality.. you see what im getting at?
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 12:47 am

That's what I argued. But it's not all that true. Before, honestly - it would be like 100+ power and the rest in a mix of stamina/essence (if any). Or - something like 150+ power mages and one erupt or Armageddon (Which only did 100% dmg to self, and could be blocked by skin) would end the game.

On the other hand there were 6000 HP + mages, with 33% spell resistance means 9k EHP +. Balance mages were around - but actually weren't that great like they were supposed to be. That's why spells like Static were made - so you would have people not get as much power so they didn't get hit by the 2x power damage. Also why FoD was made to punish the pure power mages.

But aside from all that - if there is one level 99, and a few other scattered people say around 50 - then it becomes impossible to balance. The closer the levels are to eachother the easier to balance just because there isn't a huge range. The problem is either the high level is instant win - or low levels means disables so they win. It's never actually balanced.

And right now - you have mages like mine with 62 stamina, 10 power, rest in essence (which owns). Also 10 Stamina, 62 power, rest in essence mages - which are fun. Less variance means more balance though. Just because there is something to compare to - an average type of stat distribution and such.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 12:50 am

Demonic_iTunes wrote:
well since your knowledgable about it i wont argue.. tho it would be interesting to see how it would effect gameplay at its current level..

cause so far the stat cap allows for hardly any uniqueness, 50% mages have 28 stamina, 34 essence, and 62 power, 40% have 34 pow, 62 stam, and 28 ess, and 10% have something else..

allows for very little originality.. you see what im getting at?

yes but, say, people who play anti-mage have certain builds, usually involving X and Y and Z, and possibly W.

power is overused a lot.

i think some spells need to be based off of stamina and essence. the only builds with spike stamina/essence are mountaingiant/armageddon builds and summoner builds.

i sort've agree with demonic... if one throws a dart it will hit somewhere around the bullseye. but if we had 20 different dartboards with everyone throwing in different directions the game would be waaay better Smile

MEH: darn you jay being a ninja-poster >.< okay so i also agree with you... easier to balance with less variety... harder to balance more... but its more fun with more variety despite the extra work Smile

uniqueness ftw. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 2:18 am

Personally, I like the direction it has been going in. Especially since Rhys/Pythagoras took over. Of course the game needs a total overhaul, it's a freaking alpha.

My view of MM&M pictures a full expansive RPG game that is better than any other WC3 RPG, and a balanced war system that easily rivals DoTA. It also needs a complete terrain overhaul, and even more of an item overhaul than the patch type fix Rhys was working on. MANY facets of this game need a great deal more work.

Now I don't think starting from scratch is the answer. The loading system, the elements, and the coding are all things that will most likely make it into the final version and are useful. Everything else is a skeleton/filler for what is to come and yes, could probably be remade. I think it would be easier to work off of what is there and then initiate the drastic necessary changes. But, I was happy just to ride along with the slow-but-steady progress we were making because it was at least something.

If we could combine Pythagoras's coding with DBC's map design, DarkDjinni's bosses, and Zync's balancing, that would make me a happy player.
Back to top Go down
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Number of posts : 865

Your Character
Primary Move: Inferno

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 2:41 am

I only played this map, what, once with other people? Then the whole community died on me after that one time. Hmph. Thanks, guys.

Also, if it's an Alpha, shouldn't it be, oh say...not version 8.00?

Also, please argue, and don't flame. Well-thought out arguments with the usual jab or two are way better than flame wars where you're just throwing insults at each other and then maybe bringing up a minor point or two.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 3:02 am

It's version 8.0 ALPHA. The alpha part was removed from the game name because it was too long. ("Mages, Magic & Mayhem Alpha Version 8.0" does not fit in a game name thingy.)

And yeah, sorry about that. I wish Pythagoras would just help us get out a stable 8.0 so we can continue playing that. A good stable version with minimal support and/or bug fixes would last us months. (Especially if he continued to code new M-spells and add them periodically.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Regarding My Attitude - MM&M   Regarding My Attitude - MM&M Empty

Back to top Go down

Regarding My Attitude - MM&M
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum :: Archives :: Archives-
Jump to: