Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?

Go down 
+9
kuro
Dragonheart91
RapidFireOmega
Jay.J
Lagger09
TanK_OwneR
Zync
killll
SinisteRing
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Is World of Warcraft too addicting?
Yes
Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap69%Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 69% [ 9 ]
No
Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap31%Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 31% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
SkapeGoat
Powerful Mage
Powerful Mage

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Invis cloak?

Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 5:27 pm

You all realize you can play WoW for free on private/hacked servers..... my friend used to make them and sell them +\
Back to top Go down
TanK_OwneR
Apprentice Sage
Apprentice Sage
TanK_OwneR

Number of posts : 718
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Face Pwn

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 11:10 pm

*uber snicker*
if you play WoW theres a 97% chance you will NOT have a social life
at skape the free severs aren't as fun theres usually more people at be annoyed with and more people to quest with and what not
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
SkapeGoat
Powerful Mage
Powerful Mage

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Your Character
Primary Move: Invis cloak?

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 28, 2008 4:48 pm

i agree but then again WoW isnt to fun in itself
when i played the only thing i found fun was trying to climb over the mountains instead of going through the lilttle bridges
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 28, 2008 7:19 pm

i know of three people at my school who play WoW, and i must say, they all have a pretty good social life.

and i believe they're the only people in my grade that play WoW...

WoW doesnt determine your social life, but it IS a test of how well you can balance RL with VL (virtual life).

its addicting. not sure if its TOO addicting though. depends on the player.
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 28, 2008 10:03 pm

On a similar topic, who thinks that FORUMS are too addicting? I think you could make just as much of a case there.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 4:02 am

Facebook anyone?
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Number of posts : 580

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 4:12 am

Yeah, Facebook for the win... or is it loss? You could say that anything is "addicting" though. Social life could be somewhat addicting. What if you only hang out with people and don't do homework or that sort of thing? I mean, what constitutes addiction? Is it something that detracts from "normal" activities or does it also have a more sinister connotation to it? People can apparently be addicted to anything from sex to drugs, so what exactly is addiction? It might be good to define addiction before trying to make a claim as to whether or not WoW fits that definition or not.
Back to top Go down
killll
Epic Mage
Epic Mage
killll

Number of posts : 414
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Your Character
Primary Move: Fire nova / Fire Orb

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 5:02 am

okay 1st of all tank...every1 is worried about spell dmg and attack power more then the fucking story line..u dont go around hearing ppl say ..hey aint that some damn good stroy line!!...no you here people say hey whats your ap ? or sp?

2nd of all tank i have VERY good social life...and very good grades..matter of fact without wow my grades would fail

3rd of all i just switched to private servers and the are..awesome..cept when they are down for 8 hours Q fucking Q Q Q Q Q Q QQ Q Q Q QQQQQQ KIRBY QQ!

4th i have 6 friends from school who play on retail..and there no where near fat..serisouly grow the fuck up and learn your facts..-.-
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Okay, what you outlined may be facts, but they are facts only as related to your situation. In other words, your facts are not universal, they are just isolated examples.

Deal with the stereotype because you can't change it: the stereotype being that all people who play games have no social life, wear glasses, are nerds, are socially awkward, and several of them are either obese or laughably thin. And that is just to name a few.

WoW Might work for you, but I have a friend whose grades plummeted when he started playing WoW again. He epic failed. That is not a universal, it is just a counter example to your "OMG WoW is uberness" point. Each person is different. Realize that and maybe you won't have to incite flame contests in the future.

Oh, and I think that using WoW as a motivation for grades is okay for now, but it won't hold up later. If a game, rather than yourself, is motivation to do well on something, then what happens if you grow tired of WoW? Where has your motivation gone to then? Find some internal motivation or set yourself up to epic fail.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 1:43 pm

Quote :
Oh, and I think that using WoW as a motivation for grades is okay for now, but it won't hold up later. If a game, rather than yourself, is motivation to do well on something, then what happens if you grow tired of WoW? Where has your motivation gone to then? Find some internal motivation or set yourself up to epic fail.

Full of win. Beautifully written. Standing ovation.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 2:23 pm

everyone here is addicted to using the bathroom

its true.

also motivation is key... my motivation is to just do well, do a good job. if i finish my chores and homework early i have free time for later.

will killll epic fail after he gets bored of WoW? probably not because WoW is just getting better. if at first your a slightly addicted, there's no end. black hole, no way out.

my guess is that he won't get bored until all of his friends and clan members quit WoW first, he has played all classes and every single build, and has done every quest... basically he has to see everything, do everything, and lose everything to get bored of it.

once the player factor goes, there's no real point to continuing; like if nobody else played mm&m except bob then bob would probably stop. but until then, killll is going to be playing WoW and be constantly achieving good grades, and I doubt he'll stop getting good grades, at least, until college Wink
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 5:53 pm

Okay, I take issue with your claim that everyone is "addicted to using the bathroom." Seriously? What is your definition of addiction?

I don't think that going to the bathroom is an addiction. A person needs to go to the bathroom in order to get rid of waste in his or her system. Without this, a person would die. Now, what is addiction? Or, I should say, what kinds of things can a person be addicted to?

We've said WoW, Facebook, and video games in general, yes? What else is there? There are drugs, alcohol, gambling, possibly sex (some experts disagree on the last one being a true addiction). What do all of those things have in common? They aren't necessary to continue living as an individual. Keep in mind, sex is necessary for procreation, not for continued living as an individual.

Going to the bathroom is necessary to life. Same with breathing air and eating and drinking water. Saying going to the bathroom is an addiction is like saying that eating or breathing is also an addiction because we all do it. It is a fallacious claim.

I'd say that an addiction is something that someone feels they need to survive but does not actually need. Actually, let me broaden the definition. Addiction is also something that allows one to feel happiness or fulfills some "need." After a time, however, the substance itself becomes necessary, so it is no longer fulfilling the need for something else but fulfilling the need for itself. It becomes a cycle that feeds off of itself. Complaints or anything of the sort?
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 7:27 pm

We could have become anaerobic animals so we wouldn't NEED air....Maybe. Also - it's possible to live without food. You can survive purely on alcohol. It has enough calories to sustain a person. It's happened in Russia before. The downside is that alcohol kills the amygdala and I think the hippocampus (Not sure, this is from memory).

I think the word "need" needs to be defined. You don't NEED anything. You only NEED something when there's a condition put on it. Like I need food to live. But you don't need food. You don't need anything without a condition. You could say you need anything that we're claiming that can be addicting, or you would kill yourself, or would atleast be in a severe depression.

Of course, I'm just talking shit for the sake of talking shit.
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 9:52 pm

Yeah, you could live off of alcohol from the calories but that would be a meager and poor existence. You wouldn't get much nutrition from alcohol. And your definition of need is in denial in my opinion. Yes, humans *COULD* evolve (adapt, change whatever) to not need air. But, do you need air *right now*? Yes. Do you need some king of food (including alcohol, anything that has calories)? Yes. Your refutation of saying "you don't need food, you could live off of alcohol" is a pretty damn poor refutation. You just redefined "food" and did it fallaciously. I.e. you're saying alcohol isn't food. I'm saying alcohol is equivalent to food if you subsist on it.

Okay, so your argument is that there is no such thing as addiction because anything can be necessary or "needed" by a person in that person's opinion? I don't really understand. Why do you always resort to extreme relativism to make points in an argument. Once you do that, you get nowhere. Everything becomes "opinionated" and there are no such things as "facts" anymore. It all becomes a matter of interpretation and that's pointless. I have to respect relativism, but it annoys me greatly.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 10:23 pm

going back to the topic, is WoW:

-not addicting?
-addicting?
-too addicting?

we could keep arguing back and forth, but that'd be pointless, so i'll leave the pointless but epic debate to you two Smile
Back to top Go down
TanK_OwneR
Apprentice Sage
Apprentice Sage
TanK_OwneR

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 11:21 pm

Oi kill w/o out a story line games suck ass
Runescape Anti storyline crappy game
all the Blizzard games have a GREAT storyline WCs is the only one i really kinda know
same with the 4 Artix Entertainment those 4 games mesh very well into the storyline
and anyone worried about there attack level or spell level is a fucking nerd

(srry for the language its the only words that fit properly and i [strike]ed them anywho)
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 12:34 am

IS WoW ADDICTING???

-.-
Back to top Go down
TanK_OwneR
Apprentice Sage
Apprentice Sage
TanK_OwneR

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 1:42 am

TanK_OwneR wrote:
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes (continue this until you die)

*cough*
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 2:03 am

I don't have much personal experience with WoW, but a friend of mine used to play it. I think that it is addicting. In fact, he once explained to me that Blizzard hired psychologists when making the game in order to make it addictive.

My friend may have an addictive personality though. He smokes and used to do drugs. So unfortunately, I can't give a definitive answer. And now I have to resort to a relativist answer: it's only as addicting as someone lets it be. Everyone is different, so it will have different results. I think that if you're looking for acceptance/importance and can't find it in the real world, then WoW will be more addicting because it allows you to become something that you can't achieve in real life and have it be almost as satisfying or even more so. I think it's addicting because of the social aspect of the game, however, if you already have that are covered, they you'll be less likely to be addicted to it.

I played for a bit on the beta. It was boring. There was a ton of down time and wasn't very interesting to me. I had the same combination of moves to use over and over again and I didn't ever have to think while playing the game. Just click buttons and hope not to die. For me, it was not addictive. For my friend, it was. He was involved in a clan. I was not.
Back to top Go down
TanK_OwneR
Apprentice Sage
Apprentice Sage
TanK_OwneR

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 2:17 am

well why make a game thats not addictive
money is all anybody things about anymore
if somethings done theres a good chance money is involved
you have to think that WoWs commercial say the have over 1 million people online RIGHT NOW (its probably more but 1 mil is a good number to play with)
x--------15
________
15000000 a month
x--------12 months a year
________
$180000000 a year (the are F-ing LOOOOOOAAAAAAAADDDDEEEDDDAAA)

EDIT: Plus all the games they sell
(the releases of SC2 and WotLK helps that figure)
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 2:38 am

f-ing loadeda?

--> is it TOO addicting?

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 3:13 am

Quote :
Yeah, you could live off of alcohol from the calories but that would be a meager and poor existence. You wouldn't get much nutrition from alcohol. And your definition of need is in denial in my opinion. Yes, humans *COULD* evolve (adapt, change whatever) to not need air. But, do you need air *right now*? Yes. Do you need some king of food (including alcohol, anything that has calories)? Yes. Your refutation of saying "you don't need food, you could live off of alcohol" is a pretty damn poor refutation. You just redefined "food" and did it fallaciously. I.e. you're saying alcohol isn't food. I'm saying alcohol is equivalent to food if you subsist on it.

Again, I was arguing for the sake of argument. You & I actually share the same beliefs. I just argue what I don't believe in for shits and giggles. The alcohol thing wasn't really a refuting point, more something that's "food for thought" if you will. Also according to merriam webster "nutriment in solid form" is a definition of food. So meh. The point was more that "Need" is a relative term, and only works with conditionals. What those conditions are is what matters. You get into that in your next paragraph.

Quote :
Okay, so your argument is that there is no such thing as addiction because anything can be necessary or "needed" by a person in that person's opinion? I don't really understand. Why do you always resort to extreme relativism to make points in an argument. Once you do that, you get nowhere. Everything becomes "opinionated" and there are no such things as "facts" anymore. It all becomes a matter of interpretation and that's pointless. I have to respect relativism, but it annoys me greatly

Not really. It's more you don't "Need" anything. You only "Need" something if you put a condition on it. "I need food to live" or "I need WoW to be happy" are both valid sentences. It just matters what the condition is. Without either both sentences fail - "I need food" or "I need WoW" don't work unless they have some other pre-condition. It's not a matter of opinion, it's your perception of needs versus wants. "I want food to crave my hunger" versus "I need WoW to crave my inner desires to be a warlock".

Now here's where the argument leads, you said:

Quote :
I'd say that an addiction is something that someone feels they need to survive but does not actually need.

The whole word "Need" is very....bleh. Even need for survival is pretty...sketchy. Generally we say Food, Water, Shelter - however even with those things we can't survive forever with those things. You CAN survive without anything just not very long - so time is the factor of survival. So you do "survive" without anything so you don't need anything. But then you gotta go into what survival really entales and blah blah blah.

Anywho - I've personally lost interest in this argument as it comes down to definitions which rely on peoples perspectives and everyone has a different perspective. Again like I said before:

Quote :
Of course, I'm just talking shit for the sake of talking shit.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 3:26 am

you just looove debating don't you Very Happy

i believe that WoW is addictive to most people. too addicting, maybe.

incorporating what you two are debating it may not even be an addiction at all o.O or maybe it is.
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 6:33 am

So try to look through the debate and see what you think, Kuro.

BTW, I don't think need has to be conditioned. The sentence "I need water" is a perfectly valid and complete sentence. Subject, verb, direct object. In fact, "I need" is also technically a complete sentence but it doesn't impart much information. A need doesn't have to be something that meets an explicitly defined condition.

I understand the point about needing things for survival and that no one can live forever, but that's slightly beyond reason. If that were the case, then everyone would "need" a way to be immortal. Rather, I think it's the case that the world "needs" everything to eventually die so the whole "circle of life" thing remains intact.

But, you're right. This argument has boiled down to opinion. That's what most arguments tend to do. Maybe it's just a consequence of the post modern world we live in =/
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 7:12 am

debates are based upon both opinion and fact; you two have the same facts but different opinions Smile

hawt lynx: here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?   Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Forum Poll (11/19/08): WoW too addicting?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next