Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Can't Host? Maybe I can Help (GroM)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

Can't Host? Maybe I can Help (GroM) Empty
PostSubject: Can't Host? Maybe I can Help (GroM)   Can't Host? Maybe I can Help (GroM) EmptySat May 24, 2008 2:50 pm

Some of this may not be applicable here as I copied it from another forum where I am a mod so if it says anything about deleting your post or whatever ignore it because I am too lazy to delete it, lol. If it looks familiar to you it is because I wrote a few guides on a different forum which seems to be dead now so I will copy them in all kinds of random places now. I think I cleared all the links directing there; if not feel free to delete them. xD

This guide will help you to host if you follow it right in MOST cases.

Code:

If you are well versed in MACS and networks other than windows, please contact me. Currently my guides do not support anything other than PC's and Windows. I would have no issues expanding them, but would like something of quality.

Please note that if you ask me for help and have not read and do not understand my guides I will NOT help you. These guides should hold the answers to your problems.

Alright, here I will explain on how to get a static IP address for your individual computer. A static IP address is one that does not change. A Dynamic one does change and if you want to open and forward ports you don't want it to change so that is why we assign it a static address. This guide is for PC USERS

Some people ask me whether a Static IP is necessary or not. It is not 100% necessary but it will make the rest of the process so much easier. Basically routers assign a dynamic IP address right out of the box. It is much easier for non tech-saavy users to use this method. Every time the router is reset or a computer is rebooted, it asks the router for a new IP address. The address is taken from a pool which comes from the DHCP server. You can control how many addresses and from which range the addresses on the DHCP server come from. But if you reboot your computer while using a Dynamic configuration, you will have to go back to the virtual server on your router (This part will come so ignore it for now and move on just making a mental note of it) and change the IP that all of the ports are forwarded for. See the hassle?

One important thing to note is two computers on the same network can not have the same static IP address or neither of them will be able to connect. This is very important because the router does not know to remove an IP address from its DHCP server because it is being used as static. Usually if you assign a static IP address outside of the DHCP servers pool it will be better. If you configure your whole network statically though you should have no worries.

1) Open up the command prompt
a) Go to Start and click on run
b) In the dialog box type "cmd" without quotes
c) If a black window didn't open you did something wrong

2) Type "ipconfig" without the quotes. This will give us valuable information
a) Ip Address is the first line we need. Mine looks like this: "192.168.2.106"
b) Subnet mask is the second. It should be "255.255.255.0"
c) the third is default gateway. Again mine is: "192.168.2.1"
Note: Notice how both my IP address and my default gateway start off with "192.168.1xx" Yours should look the same way. If your default gateway is "192.168.0.1" your ip address should look like this, "192.168.0.1xx" where the x's are your choice of value.

Step 3 is broken down for Windows XP and WIndows Vista. Follow whichever applies to your operating system.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows XP
3) This is where we will actually configure your static IP address. Keep the command Prompt window open.
a) Go to start, and click on control panel
b) if using windows XP make sure you are on the classic view for ease of use of this guide.
c) Click on network connections.
d) right click on the LAN connection (If you use something else to connect to the internet such as wireless, then right click on that connection) and select properties.
e) scroll down to TCP/IP and double click it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Vista
3) This is where we will actually configure your static IP address. Keep the command Prompt window open.
a) Click on start, and then on control panel
b) Double click on the network and sharing center
c) On the left side of the window you will see "Manage Network Connections" Click it
d) Right click on LAN (If you use something else to connect to the internet such as wireless, then right click on that connection) and click properties
e) Click the properties button
f) Right click TCP/IP and select properties
4) You should see a bunch of grayed out fields. Uncheck the "Auto obtain IP" circle.
a) We are not going to fill the boxes in in their order they appear so follow carefully.
b) Fill in the default gateway box first just as it appears in your command prompt window
c) fill in the ip address using the rule describe above so it almost mirrors the default gateway except for the last octet.
d) the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0
e) Primary DNS at the bottom should be the same as your default gateway
f) Secondary DNS... this depends on your router. D-Link users use "4.2.2.2" Other users can try this as well but I am not sure of the results of this on linksys or netgear or others. You can contact your router manufacturer for a secondary DNS server.

Please do not contact me for support on Apple computers or any operating system other than WINDOWS! I have received numerous requests for MAC support, and I do not support MACS. Any further requests will be deleted without reply.

You are now ready to proceed to Part 2 of the guide.

Code:

If you are well versed in MACS and networks other than windows, please contact me. Currently my guides do not support anything other than PC's and Windows. I would have no issues expanding them, but would like something of quality.

Please note that if you ask me for help and have not read and do not understand my guides I will NOT help you. These guides should hold the answers to your problems.

Ok, please follow Part 1 of this guide before proceeding to Part 2. Remember this is for PC USERS.

This guide will teach you how to effectively open ports on your network allowing for unrestricted communication through those ports. Some reasons we do this is so we can allow programs to act as servers, minimize lag, or in the case of warcraft, HOST.

Please note that if your network is setup on a Bridged connection or on a hub this guide may not work for you. If this is the case try contacting your ISP (Internet Service Provider). This may also be the reason you cannot connect to your gateway via a web browser.

Please understand all routers are different so there is some variation.

The first step to this is opening a web browser. Once you open the web browser, go to the address bar (the place where you would type http://www.google.com if you wanted to visit google).

Once here, type in your default gateway. You should know your default gateway if you followed part 1 of this guide. Press enter. If you can not connect to a login page please scroll to the very bottom and read the PURPLE text.

You should end up at a login page to your router, or a screen should pop up asking you for your username and password. I will list some default usernames and passwords, but the list is by no means all inclusive:

Usernames:
admin
"blank" (This means type nothing, not even a space)

Passwords:
"Blank" (This means type nothing, not even a space)
password
admin

Try a combination of these usernames and passwords. If none work, you may check with your router manufacturer via their tech support hotline for some more help. They can provide you with much better support than I can because they are more patient because they get paid. If you can not access your router configuration page, you CAN'T continue to the next part of the guide until you resolve this part.
(NOTE: I do not help recover, lost, misplaced, or otherwise unkown usernames or passwords. Any PM's or posts asking for this will be IGNORED. Call tech support for this information.)

Once you are on your router configuration page, you are looking for a few options. Some of these include, "Virtual Server", "Port Forwarding", "Games and Applications", or "Advanced Network." Some of these option may be under an Advanced tab so check under the advanced tab at the top or left side.

Once you see your virtual server, you can start forwarding ports! (w00t)

You will want to fill it in like so (not this is a sample, yours may differ):

Name: Warcraft3-1 (name it whatever you want)
Private IP: 192.168.1.106 (This is your INTERNAL IP or your STATIC IP)
Public Port: 6112
Private Port: 6112
TCP or UDP: Both
Schedule: Always (You always want these forwarded)

Repeat the same step for ports 6113, 6114, 6115, 6116, 6117, 6118, and 6119. You can also forward as a range on some models by filling in the start port at 6112 and the end port at 6119. This will save you some time. Save or apply the settings and try to host. It should work, if not check your firewall.

Code:
 Note, I may be able to help you over aim on my own time. This does not mean when you contact me I will be available as I do have other things on my agenda. My aim is "Contact me when you have 50 posts for my aim"

I will not be able to help you recover lost usernames or passwords. Only if you have access to your router configuration page contact me via aim!

Please do not contact me for support on Apple computers or any operating system other than WINDOWS! I have received numerous requests for MAC support, and I do not support MACS. Any further requests will be deleted without reply.

Some modems also have routing capabilities. Your ISP may have assigned you a public IP address. You also have a router setup in your home. You could be routed by your ISP which has no web interface for its "router." This makes your life hell because you have to deal with tech support figuring out if they will allow you to forward ports or get a private IP address.

Public IP addresses start like so:
172.16.xxx.xxx - 172.31.xxx.xxx

I will not be able to help you recover lost usernames or passwords. Only if you have access to your router configuration page contact me via aim or PM!

~GroM
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
ÐeathByCyanide
GFX Artist
GFX Artist
ÐeathByCyanide

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Combustion-

Can't Host? Maybe I can Help (GroM) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can't Host? Maybe I can Help (GroM)   Can't Host? Maybe I can Help (GroM) EmptySat May 24, 2008 10:03 pm

Also, It can be as simple as doing the ipconfig command with the command prompt.
Than following the website after; Connection-Specfic DNS suffix
After you're there, you type in your password. Go to firewall. Add the custom exception.
With the ports. And add it to the list. O_O
Back to top Go down

Can't Host? Maybe I can Help (GroM)
Page 1 of 1