Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Lets Make A Game!

Go down 
+2
Coverzin
SinisteRing
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

Lets Make A Game! Empty
PostSubject: Lets Make A Game!   Lets Make A Game! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 2:43 am

Video Demonstration

I'm not sure how many of you might be interested, but I'd like to know if anyone (after watching the video) would like to help me figure it all out and possibly help me make a game. I know that we have artists, idealists, and programmers all on the forum and we pretty much all keep in decent contact, but we really aren't doing anything anymore and I'm not happy about it. So watch the video, tell me what you think, and maybe we can do this together.

For those of you who are not "team players" because you have had bad experiences in the past with having to deal with the poor way that information is going back/forth and how time-consuming everything is, watch the video. The software that's used is extremely nice for a teamwork environment, but I'm having trouble figuring out how all of it works fully.

The person who's showing you how everything works is making the game Love:

Gameplay Demo

The engine looks nice and I think we can do something together. Anyways, give me your thoughts. I'd like to finally do something again with the forum.

Now to wrap it up, for those who want to actually try the stuff for yourself, you can download the apps:

Download Verse

Just put it somewhere you can easily grab it. Then, run the verse_server application followed by one of the others. To get a full rundown of each app, go to the respective link:

Quel Solaar - Real Time Rendering
Loq Airou - Subdivision Surface Modelling
Co On - Schematic Data Editing

Official Site
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Coverzin
Intermediate Mage
Intermediate Mage

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-01-04

Lets Make A Game! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Make A Game!   Lets Make A Game! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 7:10 am

Looks like work.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

Lets Make A Game! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Make A Game!   Lets Make A Game! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 12:32 pm

Coverzin wrote:
Looks like work.

This.

I am, as always, willing to give feedback if you/others actually plan on doing something with it.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Number of posts : 580

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

Lets Make A Game! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Make A Game!   Lets Make A Game! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 1:45 pm

I volunteer to write for it. Also, try to avoid the cliche heroes?
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

Lets Make A Game! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Make A Game!   Lets Make A Game! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 2:16 pm

Sounds cool. I would be happy to help with ideas and testing, but I'm afraid I am not good for much else. Hopefully our team will work well though if we get alot of people onboard.

Aqua can help write our story and/or characters.

DBC can help make the art.

SinisteRing and Pythagoras can code stuff.

I dunno what happened to Rhys, but if he's around we could use him for something or other.

If Zync is willing I dunno how many coders we will need.

Jay and I can test things and come up with random ideas?

Whoever else is still around can help in their own ways, most people on this forum have a variety of useful skills and I'm sure more generic people making models and objects would be helpful in this type of thing. Kinda like the old shadow squad but less exclusive maybe?
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Your Character
Primary Move: Cosines and Sines.

Lets Make A Game! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Make A Game!   Lets Make A Game! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 3:27 pm

I'm going to be very busy for the next 10 weeks, then I'll have other stuff to worry about, but I love the graphics engine and the tools look very intuitive and effective. It should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

Lets Make A Game! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Make A Game!   Lets Make A Game! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 3:57 pm

Wow, I guess everyone is willing to at least contribute a little bit. That's great.

I'll start to work on figuring out how the tools work. I'll try to set up a verse server so we can actually have the game in the first place. After that, I'll read up on the controls and try to create a summary of it. For those who don't like reading, I guess I might be able to explain it over ventrilo so it's easier to learn. This is going to take some time, but I am really hoping that this will all work out.

After I get things working a bit, I guess I'll make a forum for the development here.

In the meantime, I want those interested to see if they can come up with some unique ideas for a game. As Aqua said, I'd like to avoid the cliche "heroes" that comes with 80% of all mainstream games these days. Now, I can't give you an overview of what's actually possible with the engine, but there's a few things to keep in mind:

• The game is first-person.
  • The game can be either online or single player.
  • If online, there can be as many players on a single server as we want.
  • This cannot be an RTS (first person != RTS... or can it?).

Shed back some ideas. I'm interested in what we can come up with.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

Lets Make A Game! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Make A Game!   Lets Make A Game! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 4:31 pm

As far as character growth on the RPG side of things, I have never been a fan of the "level-up" that so many people like. I much prefer a simple smooth progression of abilities that feels natural for what your doing. (Like in real life, if you do alot of something you get better at it.) That's just an idea that has been knocking around in my head for years and I've yet to be able to successfully apply it to a game idea.

Secondly, I would really like to avoid doing a generic FPS. That market is saturated.

First idea for a game: A spider man style web game. Not like the lame console games where you button mash to beat people up, but more like a puzzle game. You can shoot and attach web to various things, exert stresses by pulling or using objects in-game to help you apply force, attach things together, move around by climbing the lines, and other similar things. I don't think a web based physics-puzzle game has really been made before.

Also, I see no reason why an RTS would be impossible. If you need an overhead view from a first person perspective, just give the player a button that teleports him up over the action and holds him there looking down with his movement controls locked out. You basically have a generic RTS overhead view then and remote options could control unit production and such.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

Lets Make A Game! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Make A Game!   Lets Make A Game! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 4:56 pm

Dragonheart91 wrote:
As far as character growth on the RPG side of things, I have never been a fan of the "level-up" that so many people like. I much prefer a simple smooth progression of abilities that feels natural for what your doing. (Like in real life, if you do alot of something you get better at it.) That's just an idea that has been knocking around in my head for years and I've yet to be able to successfully apply it to a game idea.
RPG's seem too... flat... now. Pretty much there's a new RPG coming out every week now a days and it's really just full of copies of the same thing with a single twist. There's really no unique RPG's that truly sticks out to me. Can you say differently for yourself?

Dragonheart91 wrote:
Secondly, I would really like to avoid doing a generic FPS. That market is saturated.
Amen to that, brother.

Dragonheart91 wrote:
First idea for a game: A spider man style web game. Not like the lame console games where you button mash to beat people up, but more like a puzzle game. You can shoot and attach web to various things, exert stresses by pulling or using objects in-game to help you apply force, attach things together, move around by climbing the lines, and other similar things. I don't think a web based physics-puzzle game has really been made before.
1. I lol'd a bit at the first sentence.
2. I'm not sure I would want to play this game. A puzzle game based on webs? Unique, sure... but too odd and too far-out. After all, how many puzzle games do you enjoy? I've only enjoyed one, and it was a flash game.

Good attempt, but not something I'd contribute to. Let's try to keep it as something we can all relate to and have a great time playing.

Dragonheart91 wrote:
Also, I see no reason why an RTS would be impossible. If you need an overhead view from a first person perspective, just give the player a button that teleports him up over the action and holds him there looking down with his movement controls locked out. You basically have a generic RTS overhead view then and remote options could control unit production and such.
I see your point. Perhaps.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

Lets Make A Game! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Make A Game!   Lets Make A Game! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 4:58 pm

I'd personally like to see us as the villain, but we don't realize we are at the start. Those are always the best.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

Lets Make A Game! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Make A Game!   Lets Make A Game! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 6:05 pm

Jay.J wrote:
I'd personally like to see us as the villain, but we don't realize we are at the start. Those are always the best.
I agree. I'll put up a forum for this now.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

Lets Make A Game! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Make A Game!   Lets Make A Game! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 7:00 pm

Physics based puzzle games can be VERY fun. It wouldn't be flat-out just like Bejeweled or something, it would be much more action oriented and in a 3-d plane. It could even be a fighting game, where you have to use the environment to kill the enemies by pulling objects onto them or smacking them into things or etc. There are all kinds of uses for that type of physics engine with webs.

Again, I'm not talking about some block sliding puzzle game. I'm thinking more along the lines of Red Faction: Guerilla with a fully destructible and physics based world that you interact with using your powers. The puzzles aren't pre-planned, but are simply generated by the events in the world. (Most basic example, enemy is walking and there is a boulder on a ledge above him. Shoot web and pull boulder to kill him so you can get by.) Also, preferably open world so you would never be "stuck" anywhere and you could always get around a specific blockage by finding other alternate paths.
Back to top Go down
Coverzin
Intermediate Mage
Intermediate Mage

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-01-04

Lets Make A Game! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Make A Game!   Lets Make A Game! EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 3:50 am

SinisteRing wrote:
After all, how many puzzle games do you enjoy? I've only enjoyed one, and it was a flash game.

Was it the game with the stacked blocks?
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

Lets Make A Game! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Make A Game!   Lets Make A Game! EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 6:09 am

Coverzin wrote:
SinisteRing wrote:
After all, how many puzzle games do you enjoy? I've only enjoyed one, and it was a flash game.

Was it the game with the stacked blocks?
Totally.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

Lets Make A Game! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Make A Game!   Lets Make A Game! EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 11:59 am

Tetris?

Also what about ummm, Fantastic Contraption?
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

Lets Make A Game! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Make A Game!   Lets Make A Game! EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 12:06 pm

Jay.J wrote:
Tetris?

Also what about ummm, Fantastic Contraption?
This being the one I was actually referring to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lets Make A Game! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Make A Game!   Lets Make A Game! Empty

Back to top Go down

Lets Make A Game!
Page 1 of 1