Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

Official Show Review Thread Empty
PostSubject: Official Show Review Thread   Official Show Review Thread EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 12:07 am

Burn Notice
Follows spy Michael Weston who gets burned, forcing him to live in a certain location (this time Miami, Florida) for the rest of time so his dangerous knowledge cannot be spread. While there, he takes side jobs helping the population of Miami, old friends, new friends, and the like.
A really good combination between a mystery and action show. Takes the \"side job\" approach in which every episode features a new side job while revealing very little of the main plot. These do, of course, have exceptions. There are some great twists in the show that make it interesting, including but not limited to the intense action, spy-like intelligence, and half-drama. Truly, I like this show.

Action: 10/10
Comedy: 9/10
Drama: 3/10
Mystery: 6/10
Creativity: 9/10

Total 37/50
Personally 89/100
Creative Action Show

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dexter
Follows serial killer Dexter Morgan who serves the good in life despite his bloody obsession. He undergoes transformation and change throughout the show that put new perspective on his priorities and how to deal with them.
A great combination between a unique idea (good-serving serial killer) and a life endeavor, the show pretty much goes through the life of a serial killer. Truly interesting, I must say this show has me hooked.

Action: 8/10
Comedy: 5/10
Drama: 7/10
Mystery: 8/10
Creativity: 10/10

Total 38/50
Personally 91/100
Creative Action/Mystery Show

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dollhouse
Follows the story of Caroline Farrell (Echo), who has traded in her mind and free will to become a doll in the Dollhouse. She is mentally programmed to do contracts for the owners and their clients. Also features the story of ex-FBI Agent Paul Ballard, who has an obsession for finding Caroline and the Dollhouse at all costs.
So much mystery. So much action. So great. This is possibly my favorite show ever, with perhaps the most creative story and best active scene I\'ve ever seen in a show. Lacks comedy, but makes up for it in every other way.

Drama: 8/10
Mystery: 10/10

Total 43/50
Personally 98/100

Fringe
Fringe follows Olivia Dunham, an FBI agent assigned to an odd division: Fringe Division. They explore and investigate strange cases which lead to high powers in the world. Their investigations take them to places beyond this world and beyond your imagination.
This show has some really cool ideas with a great mix of science. I like it a lot and it's quite well-rounded. However, it lacks a truly in-depth and interesting main plot.

Action: 9/10
Comedy: N/A
Drama: 3/10
Mystery: 9/10

Total 31/40
Personally 86/100

Heroes
In a world where superpowers are common, the world needs a balance. Good fights evil in an epic showdown of electricity, time travel, and telekinetic power.
I\'m pretty sure this show is a full-out action show, but it\'s a good one. Follows a decent story and includes enough comedy relief to make sure it\'s not too intense. Was at one point the best show on TV, but has fallen quite a bit since then.

Comedy: 7/10
Drama: 6/10
Mystery: 8/10
Creativity: 6/10

Total 37/50
Personally 77/100
Somewhat Original Action Show

Leverage
Former insurance worker Nathan Ford has changed, becoming a con artist to help those who have been screwed over by large companies and famous people. He has his team of Sophie Devereaux (Grifter), Eliot Spencer (Fighter), Parker (Thief), and Alec Hardison (Hacker) to help him accomplish his goals.
Somewhat creative, I must admit this show took me by surprise. I usually am not interested in anything outside of fantasy or sci-fi, but this one had me. There\'s just so much work going into the show and so much comedy that it\'s truly unique to my lineup and at one point was my favorite show. I really enjoyed it.

Action: 9/10
Drama: 5/10
Mystery: N/A
Creativity: 8/10

Total 31/40
Personally 85/100
Original Action/Comedy Show

Lie To Me
Dr. Cal Lightman is an expert at telling and detecting lies. He has a company based on telling the difference between the two who are there to help police, private clients, and others figure out a case by using witnesses and their backgrounds to find out the truth behind what\'s going on.
This has to be the most creative overall focus for a show to go in that I\'ve seen a law/case-focused show go in so far. Truly has kept me interested all along and is definitely in my top shows.

Action: 8/10
Comedy: 8/10
Drama: 7/10

Total 43/50
Personally 94/100
Creative Mystery Show

Lost
A plane crashes on an island. No one knows where it is, why they\'re there, or what will happen next. A true mystery, the survivors search the island, finding many obstacles and cryptic things along the way. They try to piece everything together, but have a hard time doing so when everything is so unfamiliar.
This had me totally hooked from season 1. Since then, it\'s started losing interest. I hope that season 6 will give us a good end to the show, but I\'m not so sure. It has started getting far too crazy and has lost control. I was once incredibly impressed by this show, but as it started going on I really started to see through it and not like it so much.

Comedy: 7/10
Drama: 9/10

Total 45/50
Personally 85/100

Merlin
Follows Merlin, a young boy in Camelot who has the odd ability to use magic. He is true at heart and sees that prince Arthur is as well. Told by a dragon he would have to make Arthur succeed to the throne and keep him there, Merlin has a war within himself on the methods required to do so. However, he has so much more on his plate with the mystic creatures and magic people appearing nearby in his story.
Merlin is quite an intriguing character. The character is built nearly perfectly and has a great balance within him for every emotion. Perhaps my favorite character in any show, Merlin is relatable to and also unique. He alone is a good reason to watch the show.

Mystery: 6/10

Total 42/50
Personally 90/100
Creative Action Show

Smallville
Follows the teenage life of Clark Kent, who we all know as Superman. Throughout his life, he encounters people affected by him and who affect him that build him into who he is.
Dear god this show has gone on forever. It takes so long to introduce the key characters but omg does it explore the characters in-depth. This is an epic show (really, it\'s quite long), and I think that people should watch it. There\'s truly nothing special about it, but it can get VERY intense with the drama.

Drama: 10/10

Total 44/50
Personally 92/100
Creative Action/Drama Show

True Blood
Follows telepath Sookie Stackhouse, who lives in Bon Temp which is anything but normal. Vampires, shapeshifters, telepaths, and maynads have all come into town and made a huge impact.
The primary love story between Sookie and Vampire Bill Compton keep the show in-tact with drama while including massive amounts of action, mystery, and comedy that simply cannot be found anywhere else. Aside from Dollhouse, this is the best show ever.

Total 47/50
Personally 99/100

UPCOMING
  • Supernatural
  • Flash Forward
  • House
  • Eureka

Last edited by SinisteRing on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:39 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level: ∞
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: Official Show Review Thread   Official Show Review Thread EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 12:19 am

Wow, you have a lot of time on your hands.

http://lolcatz.jayj
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Official Show Review Thread   Official Show Review Thread EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 12:22 am

Jay.J wrote:
Wow, you have a lot of time on your hands.
Totally. But you should read it now, considering I just updated it.

P.S. Unblock me on MSN, bastard.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: Official Show Review Thread   Official Show Review Thread EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 11:24 am

Hmm, interesting perspectives. I disagree with you on multiple points, but your opinion is fun to read. I'll definitely check out Merlin and maybe even give Burn Notice another chance.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Official Show Review Thread   Official Show Review Thread EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 4:48 pm

Added Fringe.

Dragonheart91 wrote:
Hmm, interesting perspectives. I disagree with you on multiple points, but your opinion is fun to read. I'll definitely check out Merlin and maybe even give Burn Notice another chance.
If you disagree, then tell me what you disagree with.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Official Show Review Thread   Official Show Review Thread EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 7:24 pm

You should add Chuck. It's coming back in the spring.

Disagreements:

Where is the comedy in Burn Notice? Maybe I didn't watch enough episodes, but I never saw it.

Dexter has a great deal of satire. Comedy isn't always as obvious as you might think, and just seeing things from the point of view of a serial killer cracks me up often.

I don't know why you rated Fringe as N/A on comedy. The main scientist character is fricken hilarious. IMO, Olivia is not the main character and could be switched without hurting the show. It's the others that matter. As far as a main plot, last season there was a main villain with a nefarious plot and this season we have an invasion from an alternate universe. I admit multiple episodes go off on their own tangent and sometimes it seems incoherent, but there IS a plot if you want one.

I dunno about you, but I NEVER laughed during heroes. There weren't any jokes ever. The closest it ever came to levity was when Hiro first teleported and yelled "Yata!" or something. Everything else was always dark.

So I guess I mostly disagree with you on the comedic aspects. Maybe have a different sense of humor?
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level: ∞
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: Official Show Review Thread   Official Show Review Thread EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 12:46 am

Dollhouse can be funny. I remember one scene where people are giving their opinions about the dollhouse, and the one guy is like "If two guys just want to have sex, they can do it, and the other guys just forgets" or something like that, and his wife or whatever starts nodding her head at the start in agreement, but then is like WTF facial expression when he starts talking about the gay sex.

Hilarious moment. A few others.

http://lolcatz.jayj
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Official Show Review Thread   Official Show Review Thread EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Does anyone feel like submitting their opinion on shows? Cuz this is lame for a sticky.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Official Show Review Thread   Official Show Review Thread EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 8:18 pm

I finally got into Burn Notice. I'm not sure what episodes I was watching before, but there is plenty of comedy in the ones I'm watching now.

Fringe is amazing. Glee is awful. etc.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Official Show Review Thread   Official Show Review Thread EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 6:52 am

I should totally update my initial post.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Show Review Thread   Official Show Review Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Official Show Review Thread
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum :: Archives :: Archives-
Jump to: