Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Science!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cosines and Sines.

Science! Empty
PostSubject: Science!   Science! EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 9:19 pm

Felt curious today, so I decided to do some testing of Warcraft 3's attack system. If we let c be the attack delay value that you put into the object editor for the specific unit, then the number of attacks per second that unit can get varies continuously on the interval [1/5c, 5/c]. The lower bound on attack speed is -80%, and the upper bound is +400%. This poses an interesting problem for balance, as the number of attacks at -80% speed is 1/5 the attacks at 0% and 0% is 1/5 the number at 400%. So the value of "slowing" enemy attack speed in normal situations has decreasing utility as their attack speed increases.

I propose a system in which attack speed is determined on an attacks per second basis by calculation and aggregation of buffs and effects, and then the attack speed % is derived and applied through some other method (Most likely through hero stats or some other transparent method). With such a system, one could place limits on the interval asymptotically, so it becomes increasingly difficult to slow down or speed up attacks as they become closer to the endpoints, as it is, slowing someone who isn't that fast has a much greater scalar effect on the attacks per second than slowing someone who is near the greater endpoint.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

Science! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science!   Science! EmptyFri Feb 05, 2010 12:06 am

Sounds neat.
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Number of posts : 580

Your Character
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

Science! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science!   Science! EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 2:58 pm

I don't get the math, but the concept is understandable. Now the question is: is this actually implementable in anything or did you just figure this out and wanted to tell someone?
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

Science! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science!   Science! EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 1:08 am

I'm working on a system based on the inverse tangent function for the asymptotes, but it isn't behaving as I'd like, so I need to tweak it. I'm planning to use it in one of my ongoing projects, but I'll likely produce a standalone model that can be used for other maps.
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

Science! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science!   Science! EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 6:49 pm

I've implemented the system, it utilizes the arctan function to determine what % attack speed to apply to the unit based on an external variable. I've scaled the function to attribute the same value to values above and below the median. Basically if you give a unit +50 attack speed factor (arbitrary and scalable, so the value doesnt really matter in this case) and it happens to multiply the units attacks per second by 2, then giving the unit -50 will divide the attacks per second by 2.

I've adapted it into my status system, and now that I have damage and attack speed in my full control, I actually feel like I might take it somewhere. I'll keep you all informed.
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

Science! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science!   Science! EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 4:12 am

I've now fully implemented similar systems to manage the cast speed and cooldown speeds from intermediate values in my status system.

All that's left to do before I make a real demo map out of it is to determine functions to get the intermediates from the primary stats, and then make some demo heroes and items and roll it up into an AoS.

After that's done I'll see if I can implement my dynamic terrain engine so that every time you play the maps and creep paths are different. Then i'll develop that further to give the two kingdoms AI and expansion potential, and also make them hire the players as mercenaries based on performance, instead of the standard last hit bullshit that most AoS maps have, it would be based on defense of crucial positions, damage dealt and healing done, as well as siege support, following orders, defeating enemy heroes. All of these will be included in the payment value algorithm, and the kingdoms will also attempt to hire the players out from under the enemy. The kingdoms will have finite income and budget accordingly, making play more interesting, hopefully.

This should all be very transparent to new players, who should be able to just play like idiots and still have fun, and as they learn more, they'll understand how much they can effect the tides of battle, literally, as each kingdom struggles for vital resources and the eventual destruction of the other team. Players will strive to be on the winning team and be paid well, but kingdoms will not need to hire additional players if they are successful as is.

I think I'll start the players as enlisted soldiers in each army, and as they do well, they'll get raises/bonuses or counteroffers.

Overall I'm just feeling extremely inspired right now. I'll continue to keep you informed.
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

Science! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science!   Science! EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 6:33 am

Maths are in BLUE
Afterthoughts are in OLIVE
Important Notes are in CYAN

I've now implemented a system to control movement speeds similar to that of attack speeds, I've fallen in love with piecewise continuous scaled arctangents, there will likely be many more in my future formulas.

The movement speed of a unit in my game is based on 6 factors, their agility, strength, dexterity and vitality stats, the weight of the armor they are wearing, and any status based bonuses.

The ingenious way I've made the stats interact is fantastic, as it makes dexterity useful at low weights, strength at medium weights, and vitality at high weights, to make the utility of each stat more interesting in a way that is analogous to reality, so it feels natural for the players. The function i've implemented is continuous for all weight sums and all stat values besides zero, meaning it is a smooth hypersurface, there's no difference as far as my engine is concerned between a 70 weight platemail and a 5 weight leather suit besides the numbers for determining movespeed.

Next I'm going to include weapon weight in the attack speed formulas, mitigated by strength, raised to some power, so as weight increases, the increasing value of strength increases, so with a tiny dagger, strength will be neglible for your aspd, whereas for a huge hammer, it will matter significantly more. As with above, this function will be a continuous surface at str=/=0.

Then I'm going to impliment a similar function for melee weapon damage, based on dexterity and strength, as a continuous hypersurface. So as weapon weight increases, strength becomes more prevalent, etc. I also plan to have dexterity be more important for minimum damage values, and strength for maximum, stressing the more accurate nature of a dexterous fighter.

The rest of the primary->secondary transformation functions will be less interesting, but after I finish them I already have some demo hero concepts in mind, and making a simple AoS will be easy.

It feels like I'm fucking teaching a class on mathematics theory in video game design...

And no one is listening Razz

If anyone is actually reading this, I could use input on a comprehensive set of "fantasy" damage types. By comprehensive I mean it covers all my bases. Right now I have it split into over 13 types, I'd like to shrink that number to 6 to 8, in such a way that they're still interesting for the player and robust enough for me to balance a variety of hero types in ways that allow them to interact and synergize in a unique fashion, but isn't so large a set that new players become confused.

Also, I hope no one minds that I've turned this thread into a blog of sorts.

I know like 90% of you are just dying to get in on the conceptual ground floor of a map, and unfortunately, I'm not willing to give up any creative control, because I have a very specific image in mind for this baby. But I will certainly welcome suggestions for cool features, although as I've already described the genre and some principle features of the map, you should try to keep your suggestions along those lines, and try to avoid suggesting that I make some other map of your dreams (which tends to happen when suggestion boxes are opened) Smile
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

Science! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science!   Science! EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Piercing, Slashing, Crushing

Then you can go into elemental types if you want magical stuff.

Also, this sounds incredibly complicated and not noob friendly.
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

Science! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science!   Science! EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 3:08 pm

Well yeah, I was thinking of collapsing those three into "Physical". I know I want a holy/dark combo, I'm not sure if I want magical to be split into individual elements or just have things like ethereal, elemental, etc. I probably want at least one damage type for "Poison".

That's a more clear way of describing how I want to collapse them down so its less confusing and more intuitive to newbs.

The complications will be entirely transparent to new players, they'll be able to simply play a hero and pick stats that they imagine would be important to that hero, and they should be able to be moderately successful. That's the intent and the backbone of the systems I've created.

The damage types aren't crucial for the demo map, so maybe once I complete it and show you you'll have more input Smile
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

Science! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science!   Science! EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 8:04 pm

Functions for melee damage have been implemented, I'm very happy with them, if your str and dex are equal, it doesn't matter what weapon weight you use, if your str is higher, weapons above some arbitrary weight will do more damage, and if your str is lower, then weapons below an arbitrary weight will do more damage.

Also have prelim functions for spell damage and healing implemented, everything needs to be tweaked and balanced through rigorous playtesting later, but spell damage can now be dependent on stats, which is an important landmark on my way to a demo.

I'm not sure if I want to work the accuracy/crit system before the demo or wait until after, because I want to add another status attachment that will let me make spells that either increase or decrease evasion/accuracy/crit chances etc.

Oh, I've also come up with a really rudimentary formula for scaling spell durations.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

Science! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science!   Science! EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 8:54 pm

Status effects
Physical melee
Physical ranged
Magical
Mixed
Technological

6/9? Can maybe split up magical.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

Science! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science!   Science! EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 10:59 pm

What do you mean by status effects, like what sorts of sources would cause it?

Also explain technological and mixed, if you could.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

Science! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science!   Science! EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 11:33 pm

Also, what's the difference between "Physical Melee" using a Spear and "Physical Ranged" using a Javelin? In real life they would do pretty much the same thing, but one is melee and one is thrown.
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

Science! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science!   Science! EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 12:58 am

All systems are go, including leveling up.

Going to make the demo heroes and roll out a quick one building per team AoS so you guys can finally see why I'm so excited.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

Science! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science!   Science! EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 2:26 am

Status would be from anything to poison, DoT, stuns, slows - thought the last two might not exactly be "damage types" they, I feel would fall under the same category.

Mixed could be anything from enchanted weapons to spells with physical properties.

Technological could be things like guns.

@Dragon - Maybe, but I was thinking more like Arrow versus Hammer.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

Science! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science!   Science! EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 2:42 am

Technology sounds redundant to me. Also, I like the idea of status effects being a damage type that is effected by multipliers. E.G. You could have resistance from status effects which reduced ALL durations by 10%. (Stun, slow, poison, etc.) Or you could have a special ability that increased all the status effect durations you dealt by 10%. Or w/e.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Science! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Science!   Science! Empty

Back to top Go down

Science!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum :: Archives :: Archives-
Jump to: