Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Let's Design: New Game Atmosphere/Setting

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

Let's Design: New Game Atmosphere/Setting Empty
PostSubject: Let's Design: New Game Atmosphere/Setting   Let's Design: New Game Atmosphere/Setting EmptyWed May 04, 2011 4:42 pm

There's all types of atmospheres and settings that have already been placed within games. Whether it's the bronze age, medieval, industrial, western, modern, or futuristic, every game has a form of atmosphere. Some games have an atmosphere which is completely unique to itself. Let me give a few examples:
  • Spore had a setting in which aliens of all shapes and forms were the only thing which inhabited anywhere. This type of system allowed for a large diversity in creation while still maintaining a believable atmosphere. The key feature here is that there were no human beings.
  • Portal Series takes place in a world where humans are no longer in control, and are instead test subjects. Basically, man becomes the rat for science experiments.
  • Bioshock created a great atmosphere using two dimensions: futuristic science (plasmids) and weaponry from some time ago (guns). The combination of the two create an atmosphere which is easily manipulated, where you can use both futuristic ideas and past events to craft a believable story which the player is thrown into.

Of course, this is just some examples... but I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas on a new type of setting which could potentially be crafted into a game. If you can't come up with one, just pick a theme that you like the most and let us know.
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Balnazzar[Bot]
Master Mage
Master Mage
Balnazzar[Bot]

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Write

Let's Design: New Game Atmosphere/Setting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Design: New Game Atmosphere/Setting   Let's Design: New Game Atmosphere/Setting EmptyWed May 04, 2011 5:34 pm

I propose the Supernatural, but not "Magic" as it's generally regarded.

This should go on the other thread, but I already posted there, so here it goes:
Look into Citizen Kabuto (And Sacrifice as I already mentioned), it has a great system that you could get some ideas from (It also has the best humor found in video games, at least for the chapters with the first 2 races).
Back to top Go down

Let's Design: New Game Atmosphere/Setting
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum :: Other Discussion :: Debate-
Jump to: