Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Bosses & Unique items

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

Bosses & Unique items Empty
PostSubject: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 10:52 pm

Discuss. I'll start with questions.

1. Should they be correlated at all?
2. Unique items - savable or not?
3. Bosses - only in the RPG, or AoS as well - in areas like where the Kobolds are
4. Unique items - Equal but different equiptable, or strong items in inventory (Correlation to number 2)
5. Bosses - one for each element?
6. Seperate area or on the respective islands
7. Should they even be correlated to the elements, or should they have some storyline basis? Or both?
8. You know...stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Rhys
Map Maker
Rhys

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Atomic Tea-Bag

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 10:56 pm

1. Should they be correlated at all?
Dont know what you mean

2. Unique items - savable or not?
Savable if its equipment

3. Bosses - only in the RPG, or AoS as well - in areas like where the Kobolds are
I suggest RPG only, and specifically as a Element Island Feature

4. Unique items - Equal but different equipable, or strong items in inventory (Correlation to number 2)
I suggest Equipable

5. Bosses - one for each element?
yes

6. Seperate area or on the respective islands
respective islands

7. Should they even be correlated to the elements, or should they have some storyline basis? Or both?
both

8. You know...stuff.
no I don't know.... what stuff?
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 10:57 pm

Number one was...if they should have any relation, or be seperate from eachother. Like you get Unique items from something other than bosses.
Back to top Go down
Rhys
Map Maker
Rhys

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 10:58 pm

then Id say no, unique items should be from boss's only.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 10:59 pm

So you're answer would actually be yes, they should be correlated, but whatever.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 11:10 pm

I agree with Rhys except that I think the bosses should not be on the elemental islands, (It's too crowded, and you might have other creeps interfere. Instead give each it's own small island IMO.) and non-saveable inventory items might be acceptable. They would be on the RPG side only, so balance is negligible for them, and they could give unique powers. So, each boss you killed would give you an item that made it slightly easier to beat the next one.

I have other questions to add to Jay's list:

9. Should bosses scale to how many players are facing them, or should they have a static difficulty level.

10. If they scale, should they go by # of people, level of people, or both?

11. If they do not scale, should they be balanced for a full house of 12 62s to beat them, or for a single 62 to beat them, or somewhere in-between? (Or maybe find a way to balance them so a large group of lowbies stands a chance as much as a small group of 62s.)
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 12:08 am

I think they should be Static. They should be balanced for like 4-5 level 62's. However, the actual killing of the boss should rely on skill, much more than what mage they are actually using, or how strong there mage is. Something like stepping on, or activating certain switches in a certain amount of time, or phase of the boss does damage to it, or lets more damage to be done to it. You know, something strategic...Again, refer to Impossible Bosses. Attacking at certain points in time or something. They should revolve around skill more than actual mage strength, but having a stronger mage does mean you can do it easier, so not just a bunch of level ones can go around and do it.
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Number of posts : 1378

Your Character
Primary Move: Wind Control

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 12:18 am

for placement how about those little nubs on the main island? the bosses elements in a ring in order w/ the islands.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 12:55 am

Ya, that's actually not a bad idea. Have each island have a transporter to it's boss. The nubs on the main island are just notes on those units anyway. So they can easily be removed, and have little to no consequences.
Back to top Go down
Rhys
Map Maker
Rhys

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 12:55 am

can simply re arrange the creeps on the islands and make each island slightly bigger.

9. Should bosses scale to how many players are facing them, or should they have a static difficulty level.
Id say keep it static

11. If they do not scale, should they be balanced for a full house of 12 62s to beat them, or for a single 62 to beat them, or somewhere in-between? (Or maybe find a way to balance them so a large group of lowbies stands a chance as much as a small group of 62s.)
Balance it for a specific number of 62's. Id say At least 2, a boss should never be easy enough for a single mage to beat.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 12:57 am

Yeah, I agree with those, but I didn't want to answer the questions I posed first.

I would say a pro team of 4 62s should be able to beat most bosses, but in general your gonna need 6-8 62s to do it. Does that sound fair to everyone else?
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 12:59 am

sounds like they should only be 2x stronger than the dragon then cause it takes like 3 heros to kill it. (depending on elements)
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 1:01 am

Lol? I can solo the dragon and come out without injury. Any mage with summons can solo the dragon. Even the worst combination can beat the dragon with people. I think they should be at least 3x as strong as the dragon and have much better AI.
Back to top Go down
DarkDjinni
God of Ice
God of Ice
DarkDjinni

Number of posts : 297

Your Character
Primary Move: Change This To Your Own Special Move In Your Profile

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 1:02 am

diaster wrote:
sounds like they should only be 2x stronger than the dragon then cause it takes like 3 heros to kill it. (depending on elements)

Bosses should take at least 4 62 mages with decent synergy to beat.

NOTE: I can solo the Dragon
Back to top Go down
Rhys
Map Maker
Rhys

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 1:06 am

I have multiple mages that can solo the dragon. E/W L/F D/W even my Holy mage can do it because the dragon runs when stunned.

point being, much much stronger then the dragon.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 6:38 pm

Alright - Jist of what's been discussed so far/some more of my thoughts.

Bosses give items that are savable because they are in the RPG section only. Having them non-savable makes no sense. That means the items must be "Different, but equal". I suggest having a good sell rate for people who don't want the items since it's a toss up for playstyle on if you want it over other items.

The unique item will be given as the quest reward for defeating the boss. It's been tested and that works (Item reward system). I don't know how much discussion is left, but I assume it will be majorly based on abilities instead of stats.

Bosses will have their own set area. I suggest they don't have the AI of other creeps in that they chase you till death. I also suggest that each Island has a portal that allows you to go to the boss area. Put up a barrier, so you cannot crack out, send crows etc. to the area. Once you're in, you're in. Bosses should reset HP once everyone in the area is dead so you can't just have one mage go there and suicide over and over. I think, once a person goes into the portal, all mages should be teleported there (all mages not in war). Then if everyone dies it resets HP. The Nubs on the islands could be used as respective boss places, adjacent to their island.

They should take atleast 3mages who are very coordinated and skilled, or 4 mages who are decent to take down.
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 10:41 pm

Also, when people leave a certain area within the boss, the boss should fully heal so people can't just hit and run and kill it over time.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 10:46 pm

Quote :
Once you're in, you're in. Bosses should reset HP once everyone in the area is dead so you can't just have one mage go there and suicide over and over. I think, once a person goes into the portal, all mages should be teleported there (all mages not in war). Then if everyone dies it resets HP.

Acqusation range would be the range of his area. His attack range is obviously smaller, but once one person starts fighting the boss, everyone would - then it's either he dies or you die. If you fail, he gets fully restored.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 11:51 pm

I also feel that only people who were within his acquisition range for at least 30 seconds of the fight should get the bonus, and that the area should lock anyone from leaving during the fight.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Your Character
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 11:54 pm

I think, that you don't get a timer to res while a boss fight is going on. You stay till you get revived, or everyone dies. I thought it was assumed you can't leave the boss fight..That would be the point of putting a border around it so no units can leave. Everyone will revive after the boss fight is over (Win or lose). Put a level cap on using the item...that's all. They can still sell the item if they did help for the boss fight though. Also, with the current system new mages HAVE to go to the war. So any mage doing bosses is more than likely above 15.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bosses & Unique items   Bosses & Unique items Empty

Back to top Go down

Bosses & Unique items
Page 1 of 1