Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Grammar Nazi's Ahoy

Go down 
+10
Bartimaeus
Piddagoras
Rhys
AquaAscension
killll
The_Angel
Lagger09
Jay.J
TanK_OwneR
SinisteRing
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Number of posts : 580
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Flying Dragon Kick

Grammar Nazi's Ahoy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grammar Nazi's Ahoy   Grammar Nazi's Ahoy - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 7:57 pm

Quite right, Bart. Those are out-dated words, but they are still words.

Here's one rule for commas. I won't outline all the rules for commas because they are annoying, but I'll outline one. This is the rule for coordinating conjunctions.

When you have two complete sentences, you have a few options for how to complete them. For example:

I am tired.

I am going to bed.

Those are your two sentences. They are each complete because they both have a subject, a verb, and they make sense alone (these can also be called Independent Clauses because they can stand alone or Independently). Anyhow, back to it: there are three ways of connecting those two sentences.

1.) Separate them with a period: "I am tired. I am going to bed."

2.) Separate them with a comma and a coordinating conjunction (For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So AKA FANBOYS): "I am tired, so I am going to bed."

3.) Separate them with a semi-colon and a transition word followed by a comma. (however, therefore, thus, or any word that helps to connect two thoughts together): "I am tired; therefore, I am going to bed."

There, now you have two examples of when you MUST use a comma to be grammatically correct. The only really tricky part is figuring out whether or not you have two independent clauses. An independent clause is one that has a subject, a verb, and makes sense on its own. For example: "I am tired" is an independent clause because it has a subject (I), a verb (tired with helping verb am), and it makes sense because it communicates some bit of information. So, what are some example of a dependent clause?

1.) Wants to go play.

2.) Joe and Jack.

3.) Because Joe and Jack want to go play.

Example 1 has no subject and is therefore not an independent clause. Example 2 has no verb and doesn't really communicate anything on its own: i.e. Joe and Jack did what? Example 3, you notice, has both a subject(s) (in this case "Joe and Jack") and a verb, but it doesn't communicate any real information on its own. The sentence would make sense with more information: "Because Joe and Jack want to go play, they are not getting into trouble." Or alternatively: "Joe and Jack are not getting into trouble because they want to go play." The clause now communicates something on its own.

That last example is a little awkward, but that does not change the fact that those are the grammar rules. Questions?
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: Grammar Nazi's Ahoy   Grammar Nazi's Ahoy - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 8:47 pm

The shortest and easiest rule of commas for dummies is to speak it out loud. If at any point you pause, put a comma there.
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Grammar Nazi's Ahoy   Grammar Nazi's Ahoy - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 10:35 pm

Yeah, but that is not a true rule, Dragon. True, it works sometimes, but there are also times when that rule is relatively bogus.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

PostSubject: Re: Grammar Nazi's Ahoy   Grammar Nazi's Ahoy - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 10:51 pm

What was the point of that, aqua?

Aqua just went from a grammar nazi to a grammar hitler xD (for the random, sort've unnecessary, grammer lesson)

I believe shant is shan't, not sure if it is real, but if anything, it would be "shall+not."
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Grammar Nazi's Ahoy   Grammar Nazi's Ahoy - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 11:26 pm

No, if I were a grammar Hitler, then I'd be forcing you to obey my lesson and exterminate Jewish people. As it stands, I have done neither of those. The lesson was a "if you want to actually know *why* grammar works this way, then listen to my lesson" sort of a suggested reading thing. No one actually has to follow the rules if they don't want to, but I felt that I should explain them just in case anyone wanted to know.

If it sounded authoritative or pedantic, I apologize because I had not intended to be.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: Grammar Nazi's Ahoy   Grammar Nazi's Ahoy - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 12:55 am

I really enjoyed that lesson. I think it would be boring in a class room setting, but for some reason I enjoyed the read....Odd.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
The_Angel
Expert Mage
Expert Mage

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Your Character
Primary Move:

PostSubject: Re: Grammar Nazi's Ahoy   Grammar Nazi's Ahoy - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 3:02 am

Jay.J wrote:
I really enjoyed that lesson. I think it would be boring in a class room setting, but for some reason I enjoyed the read reading it....Odd.

Mmkay, I'm done.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358

Your Character
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: Grammar Nazi's Ahoy   Grammar Nazi's Ahoy - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 3:22 am

I was just pointing out a much simpler version for the tl;dr crowd. I know it's not accurate all the time, but it's better than nothing.
Back to top Go down
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Grammar Nazi's Ahoy   Grammar Nazi's Ahoy - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 6:45 am

Actually, Angel, Jay's version is grammatically acceptable as well. They both function as a direct object in the sentence and work.

@Dragon: What does tl;dr mean? I seriously have no idea and don't want to use time to try to figure it out. A little help?
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: Grammar Nazi's Ahoy   Grammar Nazi's Ahoy - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 10:07 am

Too long; Didn't read.

HAH, mines right Angel. It sounds right & we got a guy with a bachelors of English (Or are you still in school Aqua?) saying it is Smile
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
AquaAscension
Legendary
Legendary

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Grammar Nazi's Ahoy   Grammar Nazi's Ahoy - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 3:30 pm

I'm still in school.

Only caveat is that I haven't taken an actual grammar class in a long time, but I'll be taking an advanced grammar class this coming semester. Should be fun.

Thanks, now I can understand that acronym.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

PostSubject: Re: Grammar Nazi's Ahoy   Grammar Nazi's Ahoy - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 4:24 pm

Never be afraid to google the acronym or the urban dictionary.
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grammar Nazi's Ahoy   Grammar Nazi's Ahoy - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Grammar Nazi's Ahoy
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum :: Archives :: Archives-
Jump to: