Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Idea for a map

Go down 
+3
Zync
Jay.J
Dragonheart91
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

Idea for a map Empty
PostSubject: Idea for a map   Idea for a map EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 4:04 pm

Ok, so here's the premise. In this game, you cannot directly deal damage. You can only "push" things. (The idea came from the new movie Push.) So, as a basic example, you would have a shockwave type ability, but instead of damage it knocksback whatever it hits. The longer the wave travels, the weaker it gets. Point blank it would be killer. The people who get knocked back can smack into walls and pillars which causes damage and makes them bounce off.

So, since I'm not a mapper someone else would have to make the map. The engine in Pythagoras's Kobold map would work well for this I think.

Now I was also thinking about some other ideas in it. It would be cool to have a variety of abilities that you could buy and upgrade. For instance, the basic shockwave type ability I just described could be upgraded to get more power, more range, more width, less cooldown, or a variety of other things. Another ability I just thought of would be a dash type move which imparts the force of your movement onto whatever you collide with if you hit something while moving. (Similar to pool the angle of the hit would apply and ~90% of the force would transfer. The rest would bounce you backwards slightly.) For a third ability, it could be an orb of energy that deals damage but moves slowly. However, this orb does damage based on it's speed and is effected by the shockwave type push skill just like characters are. (So you could launch it and push it to make it move really fast and deal big damage. Conversely, an opponent could push it back at you with their push skill.)

What do you guys think of the concept?
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

Idea for a map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Idea for a map   Idea for a map EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 4:27 pm

Sounds like warlock except instead of spells doing damage, it's only the lava or getting hit by a pillar.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

Idea for a map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Idea for a map   Idea for a map EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 5:08 pm

Lol, your not the first one to say that. I think it would be significantly different though. First of all there is no lava, and secondly almost all damage is dealt through creative use of the environment instead of spells.

There would be things like crates and barrels you could push to deal damage too.

Everything is going to be based on movement of things in various ways. Instead of just shoot enemy with fireball it's like "How can I bounce this thing into him from around the pillar and then time it right to have him be hit on the other side by this boulder I set rolling a minute ago." I envision alot of environmental hazards to be used to your advantage.
Back to top Go down
Zync
Elite Mage
Elite Mage

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Your Character
Primary Move: Karate Chop

Idea for a map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Idea for a map   Idea for a map EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 6:06 pm

I think is sounds fun, however, complex. As long as you can get someone to commit to it, it could be a great map.

The only downside I foresee is similar to why Dodgeball and other such maps fail to gain steam on Bnet. It's all about timing. That can be great, but with any kind of delay or a laggy host, the map becomes too frustrating to play. But if you're willing to accept that flaw (or find some kind of work-around), I say go for it.
Back to top Go down
SinisteRing
Webmaster
Webmaster
SinisteRing

Number of posts : 2032

Your Character
Primary Move: Telekinetic Choke

Idea for a map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Idea for a map   Idea for a map EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 6:10 pm

I've always wanted an environmentally-based map. One where you would have to use pick up a rock from the environment and throw it to deal damage, or you'd need to cut down a tree to gain a stick as a weapon... things like that.

In fact, I'd love to do one of those types of maps, but I'm not sure how it would be implemented, and I'm sure that people are looking forward to Spellbroken than some oddball map that I have in my head.

Perhaps a side project... after the current map is finished. XD
Back to top Go down
https://zyncmmm.forumotion.com
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Your Character
Primary Move: Cosines and Sines.

Idea for a map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Idea for a map   Idea for a map EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 6:22 pm

I'm currently working on a different application for my engine that is a lot less based on timing. I'm reluctant to release any details about the nature of the map though, because I have a problem with staying interested in a project long enough for it to produce fruit.

I would not be opposed to my engine being used for a game like this, but I'm much more excited about what I'm working on right now. I don't even care if credit is allocated as long as some illiterate, cheeky bastard doesn't claim that he actually programmed the engine.

A few points though:

1. A dash ability collision would be managed by the collision system in the map, if my engine was used. If it is a direct hit and the objects are of equal mass, then the entirety of the force would be transferred to the object that was stationary, if anything is different, the calculations get a lot more complex, but basically the engine uses perfectly elastic 3D collisions atm.

2. You might imagine it looking really awesome, but pitching and rolling barrels and crates is, for practical purposes, impossible. So if you pushed them they would just sit upright, and probably not even rotate unless someone decided to mod my engine for it. This is only a cosmetic issue, but cosmetics are srs busns on b.net.

Besides that I think it would be a cool idea.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

Idea for a map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Idea for a map   Idea for a map EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 6:25 pm

Meh, a full change of force is ok. I don't have to be that picky. Your engine would probably be great if I get around to actually organizing/working on this.
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Your Character
Primary Move: Cosines and Sines.

Idea for a map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Idea for a map   Idea for a map EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 6:29 pm

Dragonheart91 wrote:
Meh, a full change of force is ok. I don't have to be that picky. Your engine would probably be great if I get around to actually organizing/working on this.

Basically what i was saying is that it is almost exactly similar to what happens with billiard balls, just that you don't get to control how elastic it is.

Edit: On a sidenote, I just had my first day of my physics class. Its the lowest level physics class that my school offers, because everything else requires it in some way. And we started learning about 1 dimensional motion: position, time, and velocity. Exciting yeah?
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

Idea for a map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Idea for a map   Idea for a map EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 7:45 pm

I also see this as having a lot of potential, but not being popular. For some reason or other the majority of people on B.net or that play WC are looking for something easy, or somewhat more RTS oriented. They're not very into a SSB or Platformer hybrid. I think it would be cool, just not played because of the types of games people play on B.net. Does sound neat though, and like Zync said...you'd always have to have a good host. O, and the skill involved is a big turn off for popularity as well because most people on B.net are noobs as well Smile
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
ÐeathByCyanide
GFX Artist
GFX Artist
ÐeathByCyanide

Number of posts : 524

Your Character
Primary Move: Combustion-

Idea for a map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Idea for a map   Idea for a map EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 8:13 pm

Sounds like Push wars, mixed with cavemen arena.
Back to top Go down
BashAndSmash
BashAndSmash

Number of posts : 399

Your Character
Primary Move: I Zap You

Idea for a map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Idea for a map   Idea for a map EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 9:32 pm

push wars was great
Back to top Go down