Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Set bonus's for elemental gear

Go down 
3 posters

sound good?
yes.
Set bonus's for elemental gear I_vote_lcap43%Set bonus's for elemental gear I_vote_rcap
 43% [ 3 ]
no.
Set bonus's for elemental gear I_vote_lcap0%Set bonus's for elemental gear I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
maybe.
Set bonus's for elemental gear I_vote_lcap0%Set bonus's for elemental gear I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
oh look a butterfly!
Set bonus's for elemental gear I_vote_lcap57%Set bonus's for elemental gear I_vote_rcap
 57% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage

Set bonus's for elemental gear Empty
PostSubject: Set bonus's for elemental gear   Set bonus's for elemental gear EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 9:44 pm

I was just thinking it would be cool to have added bonus's for having all of the gear from a particular element. Nothing too big that would throw it out of balance, maybe even just a cosmetic thing like a special colored aura or effect (ie: immolation or fire footprints for fire set).

non-elemental sets would be cool as well.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

PostSubject: Re: Set bonus's for elemental gear   Set bonus's for elemental gear EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 11:48 pm

Duh yes? I suggested this on the old forum and it was basically accepted, but no one figured out how to balance or wanted to implement it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Set bonus's for elemental gear   Set bonus's for elemental gear EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 11:52 pm

Dragonheart91 wrote:
Duh yes? I suggested this on the old forum and it was basically accepted, but no one figured out how to balance or wanted to implement it.

ok... shall we discuss it then? if it were just a cosmetic effect then no balancing would be necessary.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Set bonus's for elemental gear   Set bonus's for elemental gear EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 11:56 pm

I generally think each piece of the set should give the other pieces a buff. So, if you have a single piece it isn't great, but if you have all four they are epic.

This would encourage people to be more careful with what they choose for their set builds.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: Set bonus's for elemental gear   Set bonus's for elemental gear EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 11:59 pm

Look a butterfly!!!

I think if anything it should be cosmetic. We don't want people getting sets because of bonuses, instead of using variety and going with both elements, or using non-elemental items as well. Variety is good, especially when it's balanced. Adding bonuses, not only makes variety less, it makes strong mages stronger. Wait till tiered items, elemental and non-elemental before we can really discuss this, as items won't be this way forever.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Lagger09
Legendary
Legendary
Lagger09

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Your Character
Primary Move: I am the Destroyer of Time... guess...

PostSubject: Re: Set bonus's for elemental gear   Set bonus's for elemental gear EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 12:56 am

What if set items gave a Visual Effect to the part of the body the are equiped to, Boots makes feet thin, like glowing or firesteps, and wep makes hands glow, etc. ?
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Set bonus's for elemental gear   Set bonus's for elemental gear EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 1:18 am

Just effects are enough for me, projectile already changes with staff, maybe footsteps change with boots skin changes with armor and an "aura" changes with the accessory. Tie these together with a total effect for having a set and it would be funny. I guess the skin thing is impractical, but that is an example.

I guess Jay is right about the lack of set-bonuses promoting diversity. This idea only really mattered before the idea of tiered or customized items replaced it. I do however believe that there could be a certain few "sets" of items that promoted using the whole set over other items. Especially if they had a unique theme to them. They should of course still have unique abilities that led to them being used outside the set anyway. (An example would be a set of powerful items that cost hp per second while equipped. The set bonus would probably be negating or reducing the hp cost. They would still be used in other strategies that could support or even liked the life degen, because they would be strong. (Dark or Light anyone?) That isn't perfect, as they could be abused and would be hard to balance, but that is my example of a set.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: Set bonus's for elemental gear   Set bonus's for elemental gear EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 10:13 am

So it's decided to be aestheic/cosmetic.

As much as I want to see it though, I think Rhys has better things to work on for now. Pyth is more of a coder (though he is free to do it). I think DBC should do it. He's working on terrain later anyway, right? He could become the cosmetic part of the map making. Then we'll just have a bunch of map makers, and hide their identity under one alias of a name. We shall call them Fire Frog. But seriously, I think DBC should work on it - or put it off till the more important stuff is out of Rhys and Pyth's way.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: Set bonus's for elemental gear   Set bonus's for elemental gear EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 10:23 am

Yeah, definitely. This is a very low priority thing.

When this map is finished, in a year or two, (lol) we should list the names of everyone on the forums in order. Zync - - - SinisteRing - Rhys - Pythagoras - - DBC - - - All of the community. Something like that for order of the work they did. Plenty of space for Zync since he created the game, and for the other three since they are or have been the mappers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Set bonus's for elemental gear   Set bonus's for elemental gear Empty

Back to top Go down

Set bonus's for elemental gear
Page 1 of 1