Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Human Mind

Go down 
+8
killll
diaster
kuro
Jay.J
Siddha
SinisteRing
Dragonheart91
ÐeathByCyanide
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Number of posts : 2358
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Cursed Waves (pwned much?)

The Human Mind - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 2:50 am

You have no evidence to support that this is real. Due to that, I submit that your obviously using an active imagination. (I live in Missouri, so I'm allowed to doubt everything until it is proven twice.)
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Number of posts : 1378

Your Character
Primary Move: Wind Control

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 2:51 am

And you my good sir have just as much evidence as we!
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Number of posts : 1331
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Your Character
Level: 2
Primary Move: invoke

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 2:57 am

my evidence is that, by focusing my thoughts and holding my hands in a sphere with my fingers about an inch apart, i can create a 'heat-ball'.

also other people can feel the heat ball when i put my hands close to them.

my side comes from experiencing things, your side comes from doubt.
Back to top Go down
http://zyncmmm.act.st
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Your Character
Primary Move: Cosines and Sines.

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 3:27 am

You don't "create" anything. The heat generated by rubbing your hands together is transferred to the air around and between your hands, this heat dissapates, sometimes slowly enough for you to move the air with motions of your hands. Thus this ridiculous "passing" of the so called PSI-ball to others and having them feel it without seeing it.
To Diaster: There is infrared energy there, as the instructions on the lie peddling website dictate, you are to rub your hands together, causing friction and thereby: heat.

The prospect of people believing that they are seeing such a thing is, simply put: stupid.

The burden of proof is on the announcers, not the denouncers. If you want to tell people that you saw manbearpig flying down from the heavens on wings of fire and lightning, wielding a machete and a wooden stool, you would probably want to bring some sort of proof to the table, and not say "YOU CANT DISPROVE IT" whenever people tell you that you're out of your looning mind
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 4:46 am

just to clarify
-my hands were cold
-i held them 1-2 inches apart in a sphere like this: ( -- )
the parentheses are my hands.
-after about thirty second of visualizing my fingers start tingling and i can feel heat. putting my hands on my face transfers the heat, also can be felt from a slight distance (inch away)

its not friction heat its something else Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 4:56 am

Pythagoras wrote:
If you want to tell people that you saw manbearpig flying down from the heavens on wings of fire and lightning, wielding a machete and a wooden stool, you would probably want to bring some sort of proof to the table, and not say "YOU CANT DISPROVE IT" whenever people tell you that you're out of your looning mind

I lold, hard, you just made my day pyth. That was golden.
Back to top Go down
ÐeathByCyanide
GFX Artist
GFX Artist
ÐeathByCyanide

Number of posts : 524

Your Character
Primary Move: Combustion-

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 8:48 am

Dragonheart91 wrote:
You have no evidence to support that this is real. Due to that, I submit that your obviously using an active imagination. (I live in Missouri, so I'm allowed to doubt everything until it is proven twice.)

What area of Missouri? @_@
I didn't know you lived there...

Oh and heres my theory, Since I sort of believe these things, and Kuro does. THats the onyl reason when see little "energy" balls form in our hands. If we were no believers like Pyh, Dragon, Etc. We couldn't do it since our brain couldn't trick us into seeing. A little like placebo. If you think its going to work, It actually somewhat does. Ex: You can give someone sugar pills, and another person advil. If you tell the person who is taking the sugar pill, It will make their headache go away. And it probably will work almost as well as the actual advil. and or have similiar effects.
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 2:01 pm

Unless you have some sort of delusional psychological disorder, the placebo effect will not induce visual hallucinations.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 2:12 pm

The human body generates heat. Holding your hands in a sphere shape could "trap" that heat as it is given off. It is entirely possible to raise the temperature by a few degrees due to capturing body heat. (Ever heard of a blanket? Yeah, same principle.)

P.S. I just tried the same thing. Holding your hands in a sphere like shape for a few minutes does indeed raise the temperature of the air between them. I estimate about .5-1 degrees Fahrenheit.

P.P.S. Any other effects you might experience are easily explained by the simple fact that humans can trick themselves into experiencing things that are not there. The human brain is very powerful, and can give false sensory information or sometimes even real effects within the body. (Ever heard of a placebo? People eating sugar pills but believing usually feel just as good as people taking real medication. Sometimes they even have almost as much medical improvement.)
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 3:39 pm

Quote :
The burden of proof is on the announcers, not the denouncers. If you want to tell people that you saw manbearpig flying down from the heavens on wings of fire and lightning, wielding a machete and a wooden stool, you would probably want to bring some sort of proof to the table, and not say "YOU CANT DISPROVE IT" whenever people tell you that you're out of your looning mind

Or you could just say you can't disprove a universal negative 100%.

Any who, it has no real practical usages, and unless further concentration drugs were given..then it's rather pointless besides for the fun of it. I mean even if you could harness that much energy and such, the time you take to master it, you could have gone out, opened a bank account, got a free gun, and then have a similar type of weapon Razz
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 3:47 pm

Though I don't know if making a psi-ball is even remotely possible I do know I can use "energy" to increase my reaction time and null pain. Though the second one took me a long time to get...put my arms to sleep many times...
Ex: when focusing a "white" energy to a point on my body, and then pinching that point with all my might I barely feel it, moving to outside that spot it hurts like all hell. This technique is actually something that kung fu tries to teach through breaking objects.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 4:45 pm

It's called adrenaline and control over nerves. I think that your mind has the power to shut down or ignore it's own receptors when necessary, your just learning to do it manually instead of automatically. (There are plenty of times when the body does things like that in order to protect itself, so it is entirely possible.)
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 5:23 pm

To Jay:
There is nothing to practically use. I'm sorry, but the idea that you can concentrate to control energy is simply ludicrous.

To Diaster:
You aren't controlling energy in the way you believe you are. You are inducing an effect in your brain to ignore pain signals from nerves, similarly to what happens when the body goes into shock. And as far as reaction time, you are just increasing focus, which by itself decreases reaction time.

Really people, this isn't fantasy land where things like telekinesis actually exist.
Back to top Go down
ÐeathByCyanide
GFX Artist
GFX Artist
ÐeathByCyanide

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 5:28 pm

Pythagoras wrote:
To Jay:
There is nothing to practically use. I'm sorry, but the idea that you can concentrate to control energy is simply ludicrous.

To Diaster:
You aren't controlling energy in the way you believe you are. You are inducing an effect in your brain to ignore pain signals from nerves, similarly to what happens when the body goes into shock. And as far as reaction time, you are just increasing focus, which by itself decreases reaction time.

Really people, this isn't fantasy land where things like telekinesis actually exist.

So I'm guessing you don't believe in the paranormal? I know the paranormal (ghosts) exist. Ive had a few encounters actually, I wouldn't see why things like telekinesis are so far fetched. I guess you need the first hand experience to truly believe it.

@ dragons post a few above, you skipped my post. And we basically said the exact same things.

Oh yeah, And Phy. The brain creates illusions all the time. Mostly when your tired, Seeing things out of the corner of your eyes, Its just mis-perception. Science can never explain everything, So why remain so skeptical everyone? Take the universe for example, Its size, how many other planets there are, and others that probably do support life. And, For all we know. There is a planet inhabiting man-bear-pigs

Last edited by DeathByCyanide on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 5:38 pm

Dragonheart91 wrote:
It's called adrenaline and control over nerves. I think that your mind has the power to shut down or ignore it's own receptors when necessary, your just learning to do it manually instead of automatically. (There are plenty of times when the body does things like that in order to protect itself, so it is entirely possible.)

an example of the body shutting down its receptors is like going into shock, except thats when your body is in extreme pain or danger but its the same principles
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 6:35 pm

Quote :

I never said there was. I was saying, IF there was...you could have much more effecient and convenient means of doing the same thing.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 9:47 pm

Actually that is the reason I put energy in quotes, because the sensation you feel is very tingly and martial artist refer to it as chi or ki because it feels like energy.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 11:42 pm

1- now try holding your hands in a gigantic sphere as if in a big hug, almost as far as you can in a HUGE SPHERE and see if your hands generate enough heat as to become sweaty.

2- now try to see if other people can feel the heat when you touch them (e.g. face or w/e). whoever i used this on could definitely feel it (they were like 'whatve you been doing?' lol)

**now has this happened to anybody else when they try telekinesis or is this just me? feel free to try to deny what i can do, and ill try to see if you have a valid point or not.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 12:08 am

Concentrating or straining your muscles can easily cause you to sweat. The body also burns calories faster while using muscle energy, causing heat. Holding your arms straight out for a length of time begins to wear down on the muscles. Therefore, all your feeling is your own body burning calories in order to support the work out of holding your arms up for a length of time.
Back to top Go down
ÐeathByCyanide
GFX Artist
GFX Artist
ÐeathByCyanide

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 6:03 pm

Dragonheart91 wrote:
Concentrating or straining your muscles can easily cause you to sweat. The body also burns calories faster while using muscle energy, causing heat. Holding your arms straight out for a length of time begins to wear down on the muscles. Therefore, all your feeling is your own body burning calories in order to support the work out of holding your arms up for a length of time.

Uh. I get the same effect under 30 seconds. And you don't even have to hold your arms out, I put them in a resting position -.-
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart91
Godlike Sage
Godlike Sage
Dragonheart91

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 6:49 pm

Mental concentration can cause the body to burn calories. Even if you aren't moving, you can still burn calories and you ALWAYS produce heat. I full believe it is possible through concentration to cause a part of your body to burn more calories and produce more heat. That is just metabolic control, not psi powers.
Back to top Go down
kuro
Clan Chieftan
kuro

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 10:14 pm

when i dont focus on it, it doesnt happen.
Back to top Go down
diaster
Ultimate Sage
Ultimate Sage
diaster

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 10:50 pm

What the pain thing? Pain negation is a very difficult thing to learn, took me like 5-6 years to learn to do it though you can probably learn it faster through actual martial arts.
Back to top Go down
Piddagoras
Map Maker
Piddagoras

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2008 11:02 pm

I apologize for my skepticism. You who have this awesome power must be the chosen ones, gifted with psychic abilities in order to save us all from impending destruction. You must hone your gift of creating heat energy by tensing your muscles and focusing and resisting pain into weapons to defend humanity.

I leave you with one last piece of insight:

Spoiler:

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
ÐeathByCyanide
GFX Artist
GFX Artist
ÐeathByCyanide

Your Character

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2008 12:15 am

Okay ill try and explain exactly what happens. First I just out both my hands about half a foot apart. Then I imagine energy flowing through me. Then I start to see it, its like... I can see electricity. Its really weird. Not exactly and orb. But slightly transparent waves that moved around. Then a greenish orb shape comes to view. And there both there at once. And if I look at my finger tips i can see the weird waves that look like eletricity trying to escape, Well it looks like its flowing off the tips of my fingers. The weird electricy wave stuff is actually very vivid. But its all semi-transparent. My hands get very warm. And if i push it into one hand that hand becomes warm. and the other hand gets colder.
Oh yeah, And im almost meditating doing this. No sound. No distractions.

Yeah. I dont understand either. >.>
I might be crazy >:~D

Last edited by DeathByCyanide on Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Human Mind   The Human Mind - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Human Mind
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next