Old Mages Magic & Mayhem Gamers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where the old players come back to what once was grand

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A suggestion

Go down 
+5
Dragonheart91
SinisteRing
RapidFireOmega
Bartimaeus
ÐeathByCyanide
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Zync
Elite Mage
Elite Mage

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Karate Chop

A suggestion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A suggestion   A suggestion - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 4:02 pm

Jay.J wrote:
Quote :
I guarantee that you would do better with a mouse.

That's assuming the other person doesn't have a mouse as well Razz.

@Zync: I still think it's a different kind of skill. Moving an analog stick opposed to moving a mouse. It's a different muscle and such. If it were true that it was the exact same kind of skill, everyone who was good at FPS on a PC would be good on a Console, but that's clearly not the case.

Perhaps, the amount of skill dependence is greater on a PC and therefore the "learning curve" is higher on a PC as it takes more skill to master (Though learning curve isn't the word I'm looking for since all FPS's are easy to understand, hard to master.) and for the console the skill is less of a factor, and things like team coordination are more important.

Can we agree to that sort of middle-ground? Smile
The issue with FPSs is that they are simulations of gun slinging ( or whatever you call it ). A mouse allows for a quick and precise aiming of your virtual gun similar to the quick and precise aiming one can do on an actual shooting range.

An analog stick sweeps the pointer this way or that. This causes the game to become more of a strafing game then a shooting one, because you have the same level of control over your movement as you do your gun. I'm not saying a console game takes NO skill, a PC game takes A LOT MORE.

I've already argued sound on a PC verses a console, so my next example will be looking at how movement works on the PC verses a console. In truth, you have slightly less movement control on a PC than a console. This is because an analog stick actually gives you more angles and more degrees of movement than WASD with running, walking, crouching, and prone options.
However, on a console, movement is just that; movement. In a game like Halo, all it becomes is a strafing game, because no matter the speed or angle at which you run, the sound of footsteps and the accuracy of your gun does not effectively change. What this means, is that 99% of console FPS players never develop any movement skill, because the game does not require any. They always use maximum movement speed in combat situations ( while sometimes walking across obstacles or crouching under lower obstacles ).
On a PC, movement is more restricted. However, the manner in which you move very much matters. Running makes you heard by other players, getting you shot through walls, and ruining accuracy. Walking allows for quiet movement at a fine speed and accuracy. Crouching sacrifices more movement for greater accuracy. Going prone will move even slower and remove the ability to shoot while moving. Yet, any gun can be fired and kept under great accuracy while prone. Based on your situation, each movement speed is utilized in different manners, and only someone who understands and uses them all will do well ( i.e. a kill/death ratio of 1.5+, and headshots at 20%+ ).

And you will never convince me that a console game requires more teamplay than a PC. Counter example = Left4Dead. In fact, I have never even heard of a console game that requires as much teamplay as Left4Dead does. ( And ordering a couple of squad members to flank a position as you provide cover fire, not only exists in both console and PC, but isn't as team oriented as relying 100% on a team member to get you out of the incapacitating clutches of a Smoker or a Hunter. )

So I can't make this compromise to said middle ground.
Back to top Go down
Jay.J
Head Admin
Head Admin
Jay.J

Number of posts : 3470
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level:
Primary Move: Moderate

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion   A suggestion - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 7:18 pm

I would think, but have no real proof, that if skill goes down, something else must go up. Whether it be luck, grinding or what have you.

In the case of FPS on console versus PC, I would think that if it doesn't take as much skill, it would take something else to compensate, and I think it would be teamplay.

To be honest, I don't really play FPS's on the console. After a year or two on CS (PC) I got bored of FPS in general, as it's just the same thing over and over with different people.
Back to top Go down
http://lolcatz.jayj
Bartimaeus
Bartimaeus

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Your Character
Level: 1
Primary Move: Inferno

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion   A suggestion - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 7:58 pm

Jay.J wrote:
I would think, but have no real proof, that if skill goes down, something else must go up. Whether it be luck, grinding or what have you.

In the case of FPS on console versus PC, I would think that if it doesn't take as much skill, it would take something else to compensate, and I think it would be teamplay.

To be honest, I don't really play FPS's on the console. After a year or two on CS (PC) I got bored of FPS in general, as it's just the same thing over and over with different people.

That's why I love TF2. There's so much variety in the playing styles. It's not like CS, where what you do is point and click at their head for every single weapon. Backstab as spy, double jump around your enemies and shoot at them while they're trying to hit you, but you're moving too fast for them to see as scout, aim rockets at the ground by your enemies as soldiers, have sniper wars as sniper, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion   A suggestion - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A suggestion
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2